Poor flexibility... I don't get it... please help

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Platinum_ar

Poor flexibility... I don't get it... please help

Post by Platinum_ar »

Dear AwareIM support team.
I must admit that I have terrible problem to understand AwareIM concept.
I started to test it for real on complex project. Now, 5th day of developing is passing by and I could not complete the simplest thing.
I really want to understand the thing but user manual and forum doesn't help much.

At this point I'm struggle with this problems:
1. Poor panel flexibility - this is the wiriest thing...
I would like to realize this scenario:
Content Panel1 with Project form showing related Cases list
click on Edit next to the Case
Content Panel1 with Case form showing related Tasks list
click on Edit next to the Task
Content Panel2 with Task form showing

So first result is in Content Panel1 but second is in Content Panel2

Is it really impossible in AwareIM? Maybe ability to set process output panel will resolve the problem.

2. Download file, link on Presentation - hmm there is no simple function to save file stored in filesystem, on user computer, after he chose file path in file dialog? Right now I'm using this:
EXPORT DOCUMENT Task.File TO 'c:\htdocs\tempdoc'+FILE_NAME(Task.File)
DISPLAY_URL ('http://system.xyz/tempdoc/'+FILE_NAME(Task.File))

but it's just another workaround and it works ugly...
EXPORT DOCUMENT without TO should download file to Downloads folder

3.Pictures on Presentations - is it possible to put picture attribute on presentation? Like <<Contact.Picture>>?

4.Is it possible to put some background under attributes on Presentation?
I think it's not, rectangle with fill is not displaying when it's under the other object.

5. Is it possible to set alternative color for rows?
White Grey White Grey White etc.
On standard queries and Presentations?

6. I read somewhere on forum that it is possible to display form in form, how can I accomplished this?

Thats all for now.
Sorry but after couple days and nights of fighting I gave up...
I have couple really nice projects but maybe not for AwareIM?

Please, AwareIM support, tell me that this software is really so great as it seems to be.

-------------------------------
Sorry for my english, I'm still practice :)
and it's early in the morning... or late at night
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

2. Download file, link on Presentation - hmm there is no simple function to save file stored in filesystem, on user computer, after he chose file path in file dialog? Right now I'm using this:
EXPORT DOCUMENT Task.File TO 'c:\htdocs\tempdoc'+FILE_NAME(Task.File)
DISPLAY_URL ('http://system.xyz/tempdoc/'+FILE_NAME(Task.File))
Try using DISPLAY DOCUMENT instead of EXPORT - you then won't need the DISPLAY_URL line and the user will be able to save the document wherever he or she wishes on their hard drive. On an iPad, the user will also be able to open in iBooks where it will be stored for future offline use.
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

I really appreciate your help, rocketman.

I used it before but it did't work.
Now I know - safari is blocking popup windows without any information so nothing happened after clicking on link.

One out of the list.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I'll try to take a look at your other stuff in the next few days, but I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment. Others might pitch in in the meantime.
Rocketman

kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I'll take a quick shot....

#3. No reason why not. I include them on reports which are the same thing.

#4. Yes. Look at the Style settings associated with each attributes presentations settings. This can be set for the attribute, and overridden as needed in various displays.

#5. Not that I know of without some java code or something.

#6. Your intent is unclear. A form can present any BO attributes you need. It is also possible to jump to from a form to another form of the same BO. If you want to update a different BO, I think you can do that by launching a process from the form. You can display some of the other object's attributes if they are related to the primary BO. AwareIM uses the Shortcut attribute type to do this.

And I don't think you've given AwareIM quite enough time. Not that it's hard, it's just different. It's limitations are very few, and with a dash of creativity, you should be able to solve just about any problem.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I agree with Kklossen, you haven't given it enough time. I would suggest you load up one or more of the sample apps and work through them with the documentation to understand better the concepts that AwareIM uses.

I used my 30 day eval period to do nothing more than read - try, read - try. Resisting the temptation to dive into my own app.

You'll find that any limitations (and there are a few) are more than compensated for by the power of AwareIM and the speed of development
Rocketman

nlarson

Post by nlarson »

I too agree with Rocket and Klosson - there is a relatively steep learning curve, but I see nothing above which can not be done in Aware. Sometime things you are used to doing have to be done the 'Aware Way' and there are some frustrating limitations, but overall the dev team is great and the product is very powerful.

for #5 - the blue bay theme (and perhaps others) do this out of the box.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

a) When defining content panels designate second panel as the target for the first panel. This will make sure that the second click is displayed in the second panel
b) When defining an Edit operation for the first click specify "Output" of the operation to be anything other than "Default" - for example, in a pop-up window or in a new tab. You won't be able to display it in the same panel, though.

For more advanced users it is possible to define buttons with Javascript to display the operation in any content panel you like, but this requires some Javascript knowledge.

Others have answered other items on the list.
Aware IM Support Team
Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

Thank you, I already figured it out.
aware_support wrote:1.

For more advanced users it is possible to define buttons with Javascript to display the operation in any content panel you like, but this requires some Javascript knowledge.
Can I use Javascript function in button placed next to the item?
Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

Thank you all for your help, it looks like we "dive into" our own app too fast.

All above solutions were usefull.

I only don't understand why I can't put picture attribute on presenation :(
As I wrote in another post:
I tried to do this with Presentation but it looks like placing picture on Presentation is impossible. After adding Note.Contact.Picture attribute, Presentation stops working and showing this:
Code:
5 5633 Note:5633 5631 Note:5631
Today I also checked that Presentation created in Contact BO with Contact.Picture works OK! :(

AwareIM 5.7 1705 OS X 10.9
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

In "Note", try adding an attribute of the Shortcut type and make it a shortcut to Contact.Picture.

Then put the Shortcut into the presentation

So for example create Note.ContactPic and link it to Contact.Picture, and then in the presentation use Note.ContactPic
Rocketman

Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

I forgot to mention… already tried that

One more simple question, maybe you can help.

I have 3 BO: Account, Contact, ReceivedEmails
How to display all receivedemails related to all contacts related to an Account in Account form, in section called Communications? Is it possible?
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

To answer your first question first. Please make sure the relationship between Note and Contact is Many to One (ie many notes to one contact) If it is set to many to many, or if you have it the wrong way round (one to many) this will NEVER work.

If this is all correct then it SHOULD work, as a number of us have said, we all use pictures in presentations and never have any problems. You must check your work thoroughly to make sure there are no silly errors (it happens to all of us at some point)

Question 2, you can't do out of box. You can have an account form showing the referenced list of contacts. and against each contact you can have a button "View Emails" which when clicked, can open up the email list either in a pop-ip window, a new tab or a different panel on your page layout

..... but you are diving into your own app again .....
Rocketman

Platinum_ar

Post by Platinum_ar »

wow… yes I can't resist :D
Besides I have two interesting systems to build and I had to start.

Q1: Relations:
Note to Contact Not Multiple, Peer, matching attribute Existing: Communication group
Contact to Communication Multiple, Peer, matching attribute existing: Contact

I have a fealing that I messed smth up.

Q2: I can also add Account attribute to ReceivedEmails :)

Thanks rocketman for all your help.
If you could take a look on Q1 I will be very grateful.

OFT: Can I find some AwareIM developers here, with a free time?
I think, some paid help may be needed.
pls contact with me prv