compound conditions for FIND

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
vinsnash

compound conditions for FIND

Post by vinsnash »

Is this a bug or intended?

When I use the simple form to create a query

IF OBJA.XYZ = 'P' AND

OBJA.ABC = 'W' OR
OBJA.ABC = 'Y' OR
OBJA.ABC = 'V' OR
OBJA.ABC = 'G'

It produces in the text form

FIND OBJA WHERE (OBJA.XYZ = 'P' AND OBJA.ABC = 'W') OR OBJA.ABC = 'Y' OR OBJA.ABC ='V' OR OBJA.ABC = 'G'

The result for the above FIND, of course, is not what was intended. I'm looking for XYZ = ' P' combined with anyone of the ABC values. Shouldn't the syntax produced be:

FIND OBJA WHERE (OBJA.XYZ = 'P)' AND (OBJA.ABC = 'W' OR OBJA.ABC ='Y' OR OBJA.ABC = 'V' OR OBJA.ABC = 'G'))

I modify the output in the 'text' form and it works as intended.
tford

Post by tford »

A simple form query would have no way of knowing your intended result. So, AwareIM allows you go get "under the hood" like you did to achieve your intended result.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
vinsnash

Post by vinsnash »

I like being able to get "under the hood" so to speak. Fortunately I have some Boolean background and can figure it out. It would be nicer if the documentation spelled out a little better what should be left alone and what needs to be modified.

Thanks for the reply.

Vins Nash
technopak

Post by technopak »

Hi,

I must admit that it seems like a shortcoming (albeit a small one) that the simple query builder allows you to build a complex query which it can't interpret.

It makes more sense that the simple query builder only builds what is can cope with - probably something that support needs to consider modifying.

Peter
tford

Post by tford »

Good point Peter. But the flip side is that the simple query builder gives you a running start before you look under the hood.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres