V7 - I am sorry that Popup's no long allow DisplayLayout

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

V7 - I am sorry that Popup's no long allow DisplayLayout

Post by BLOMASKY »

One of the features that I used a lot in V6 was a popup with Display Layout when I had to display more than one grid (errr, I mean query) at the same time!

For me, a new tab has 2 failings
1). You lose all of the info on the screen below. Most of the time, my popup didn't cover that info and could both provide useful info and always let the user know where they came from (yea, I can duplicate the info in a new tab, extra work, but the biggest problem is:

2) A tab has to be closed! The system can close the popup, no problem. However, the user, who, sometimes has a room temperature IQ has to be told, taught, instructed, then responded to when he asks, why are there SO MANY tabs open.

I know I mentioned this before, but figure if I am like a squeaky wheel, perhaps, just perhaps, I can convince the developers to not remove this most excellent feature.

Bruce
weblike

Re: V7 - I am sorry that Popup's no long allow DisplayLayout

Post by weblike »

Hi bruce,

Can you make a printscreen v6 vs. v7 where you mean this was removed?

Thx,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I will be happy to when I return home, but if I had a process in V6 that displayed the output in a popup. if I had an action that says "DISPLAY LAYOUT myLayout FROM_VP foobar" that would display fine. In V7 there is NO output.

but, I can upload 2 bsv's (v6 and v7) when I return home next week.

Bruce
tford

Post by tford »

I am confused when you talk about DISPLAY LAYOUT in V6 displaying in a "popup".

When I hear "popup", I usually think of a modal window. Is that what you mean?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

"the user, who, sometimes has a room temperature IQ" that's a good one! I use to use thre sentence " untrained monkeys" for ths type creatures.
Independent Developer
BLOMASKY

What is Display layout in popup

Post by BLOMASKY »

Maybe I didn't explain what I mean well enough. Let me try again

In a form (or query), I can have an action that calls a process. There is an output option, Default, New Tab, Modal window, or POPUP.

If I select popup and in my process I have the following line "DISPLAY LAYOUT 'ABC' USING_VP XYZ" there is NO output. If I change the form (or query) to have the output to a new tab, then all works fine.

Bruce
BenHayat

Re: What is Display layout in popup

Post by BenHayat »

BLOMASKY wrote:Maybe I didn't explain what I mean well enough. Let me try again

In a form (or query), I can have an action that calls a process. There is an output option, Default, New Tab, Modal window, or POPUP.

If I select popup and in my process I have the following line "DISPLAY LAYOUT 'ABC' USING_VP XYZ" there is NO output. If I change the form (or query) to have the output to a new tab, then all works fine.

Bruce
I think you should report it with a BSV.
tford

Post by tford »

Learned something new tonight. I didn't realize you could use DISPLAY LAYOUT with a popup in V6.

I was also able to get it to work as a popup in V7 when run as a menu item. I did not test in V6 or V7 when run from a form or a query.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I am attaching a BSV.

More Info. You CAN use DISPLAY LAYOUT if only static HTML. but if you have a query, it will NOT work in a popup but works fine if output is new tab.
Attachments
DisplayLayoutIssue.bsv.zip
(34.52 KiB) Downloaded 345 times