Wish: Aware XML format required.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tkilshaw

Wish: Aware XML format required.

Post by tkilshaw »

Although Aware has a good HTL documentation mechanism, this is incomplete and the HTML not easy to repurpose.

I would like an export option that would export my whole configuration to an XML format for Aware configurations. Of course, Aware would need to define that.

Why would this be necessary or useful?

1) if Aware, God forbid, goes out of business your solution would be locked into a proprietary configuration without even basic access to the complete configuration.

2) It would improve Aware's value as a prototyping tool. The XML could then be manipulated with XSLT to form the basis of a solution in another language.

3) If Aware was able to import its own XML format it might be possible to expoert, transform and reimport configurations. This could be very handy.

Terry
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

I would like to add my vote for this feature as well. The ability to export a Business Space as XML would be hugely useful.

For example, I need to rename an attribute. Unfortunately, the attribute name is referenced in various other objects, such as rules, queries, etc... Since AwareIM does not include any type of global search/replace capability, this means, I will have to manually rename all other references to the attribute, one at a time. What a nightmare!

If I could export the Business Space as XML, I could run a search/replace on the attribute name in a text editor and then re-import the Business Space.

This is one simple example, but I'm sure there could be numerous other examples where it would be faster and easier to edit the XML directly, rather than using the AwareIM Configuration Tool.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
https://www.hostland.com
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This feature IS available in 2.2 !

All you you need to do is choose XML extension when exporting your BSV.
Aware IM Support Team
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

Thank you for pointing that out!
Brad S Konia
Hostland
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> For example, I need to rename an attribute. Unfortunately, the attribute name is referenced in various other objects, such as rules, queries, etc... Since AwareIM does not include any type of global search/replace capability, this means, I will have to manually rename all other references to the attribute, one at a time. What a nightmare!

When you rename an attribute Aware IM should automatically rename all references to that attribute throughout the business space so you do not need to do it manually.

You can find all references to a particular configuration element by right-clicking the element in the configuration tree and selecting menu command Find References To.

You can also search all rules in the business space by right-clicking a business space version in the configuration tree and selecting command Search Rules.
Aware IM Support Team
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

It definitely does not rename all references to an attribute when you rename the attribute. If I rename an attribute and then run an integrity check, it gives me all kinds of errors, because the references to that attribute in rules, queries, etc... have not been updated to the new name. I then have to go through and manually update all the references.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It should rename them. If it doesn't work for you could you send your BSV to [email protected] and tell us what you are renaming?
Aware IM Support Team
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

Actually, I'm working with the CRM.bsv file that's in the sample directory. Try the following:

1. Create a new business space and import CRM.bsv

2. Rename the "Customer" object to "Client"

3. Run an integrity check

I get two integrity errors, both due to rules that reference the "Customer" object and can no longer find it.

Next, try renaming the "LastName" attribute in the "Client" object and run another integrity check. That results in four additional integrity problems due to rules referencing the "LastName" attribute that no longer exists.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

These problems are now fixed in build 948
Aware IM Support Team