►FR◄ An Aware "Platform Variable" (Desktop/Mobile)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

►FR◄ An Aware "Platform Variable" (Desktop/Mobile)

Post by BenHayat »

Hello Support;

Since V7 and above, Mobile lives as fist class citizen, I'd like to request for the following feature.
We need an Aware system Variable that we can check against at runtime to see if that session is running on Desktop or Mobile. For example we have a variable called CURRENT_DATE, which provides us with today's date. We also need a variable like PLATFORM that returns Desktop or Tablet or Mobile. This way, in many places we can use this in the rule condition to do something based on the value of this variable.
Presently, I have to have many processes repeated to call different forms for desktop or Mobile. But if we could havethis variable, I could say
If PLATFORM='Desktop' EDIT D_EditForm
ELSE
IF PLATFORM='Mobile' Edit M_EditForm

Or in many forms we can hide things if PLATFORM='Mobile' and etc.
This will be very useful to allow developer to know what platform the user is using.
tford

Re: ►FR◄ An Aware "Platform Variable" (Desktop/Mobile)

Post by tford »

Perhaps support could add a variable to the LoggedInNotification so the platform could be captured, then it could be stored in LoggedInSystemUser. It should not be that hard to do since AwareIM already "knows" the platform info.

This would not solve it for guest users though that unfortunately do not have a LoggedInSystemUser record. Ironically guest users DO get processed through the LoginNotification process ... there is just no where to store the info gleaned during the login process for guest users.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

tford wrote:Perhaps support could add a variable to the LoggedInNotification so the platform could be captured, then it could be stored in LoggedInSystemUser. It should not be that hard to do since AwareIM already "knows" the platform info.

This would not solve it for guest users though that unfortunately do not have a LoggedInSystemUser record. Ironically guest users DO get processed through the LoginNotification process ... there is just no where to store the info gleaned during the login process for guest users.
From each client session request, Aware knows the platform of client making request. This platform can be set as a system wide variable without the need to store in DB.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

1+
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Can you not create your own now by using three different VPs for desktops, tablets and phones. Then use a different init process that sets your value?

Cheers Rod
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

RocketRod wrote:Can you not create your own now by using three different VPs for desktops, tablets and phones. Then use a different init process that sets your value?

Cheers Rod
Yesterday,I ended up creating my own Platform Variable, since Aware does the heavy lifting by picking the correct VP, then I took it from there. Now for any LoggedInUser, I know what platform they're running at runtime and I can use it in my rules.