Stop Published BSV

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
bondicoffee

Stop Published BSV

Post by bondicoffee »

Can some body advice how to stop a published version and the connections to the database.

Thanks
Jaymer

Re: Stop Published BSV

Post by Jaymer »

I've asked this question:
lets say "I published a BO named AAA"
and of course I also have a test copy I'm doing development with.
how do I disable the production AAA when I want no one to log into it? so that its not even a valid application to Aware.

No one, including Vlad, has been able to give me a way to stop or unpublish it.

Vlad said: "You need to either stop the production server or better still temporarily replace the login form with the HTML that says that the system is temporarily unavailable."
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Rem

Post by Rem »

An old thread but a very good (and important) question.

I guess there is no update on this topic?

We need a way to stop a single BSV from being published. Stopping the server will stop several other BSV:s and this is not really an option.

We will continue try finding a way, but if anyone knows something please let us know.
Regards
Rune

Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Instead of making a new major/minor version from the prior one, you could make a new “empty” version, then publish that?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

This is not a solution, more of a work around.

Regular viewers will know I am a big fan of Reverse Proxies.

If you were using a reverse proxy you would have the ability to stop redirections to that App and instead redirect to a Not Available web page.

Doesn't help bondicoffee's issue as it requires a redesign of infrastructure but if you are setting up afresh then it is another advantage.
Rem

Post by Rem »

A feature request to a new version then maybe?

We are very familiar in running other sites on Microsoft IIS for instance and then there is a simple start/stop for each site, that would be awesome!

@Jaymer, we will try your workaround and see if its sufficient for now, thanks!
Regards
Rune

hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Rem wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am We are very familiar in running other sites on Microsoft IIS for instance and then there is a simple start/stop for each site, that would be awesome!
Good idea, 1+
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Just thinking out loud here. How about an initialisation process for mere mortals (ie NOT Admin) that checks for a systemsettings attribute - lets say SystemDown. If the attribute is "yes", redirect to another VP that just says "Your site is temporarily unavailable"

Admins could go back in and set the flag to "No" when they want to restore connectivity.

Won't stop people logging in but WILL stop anyone doing anything (except admins)
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Rem

Post by Rem »

Another issue that could happen if you don´t actually STOP the app (BSV) is that processes would continue to run. We hade issues with mail that was pick up from the old version of an app before the new one got hold of it, so IF this could be a new feature the optimal would be:

1. possibility to easily stop an app (without server reboot)
2. Show a custom message to users

(what we can think of right now anyhow)
Regards
Rune

Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I know I posted this a LONG time ago, but I think what many people may not realize is that if you EVER install and publish the sample CRM app, then that thing is sitting out there banging away at email and scheduler... forever.
Not that its a tremendous server load, but it is still doing its thing with no way to stop it.

Jaymer
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Rem wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:59 pm Another issue that could happen if you don´t actually STOP the app (BSV) is that processes would continue to run. We hade issues with mail that was pick up from the old version of an app before the new one got hold of it, so IF this could be a new feature the optimal would be:

1. possibility to easily stop an app (without server reboot)
2. Show a custom message to users

(what we can think of right now anyhow)
Overkill, but in same way of login solution you could point the processes to SystemSettings.Status field to control their running.

Code: Select all

IF SystemSettings.Status='Operational' THEN ...
Or have the email server settings in a computed field based on operational setting. So hold the mail server settings in one field and when you switch it "on" make populate the mail setting into the required fields.

But clumsy must better than nothing

Or reset scheduled processes to a non repeating schedule
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

What happens if the Business Space that must be stopped is simply deleted in the Configuration Tool? Doesn't that mean that the BSV is no longer running? (perhaps after restarting the Aware server).

I guess it isn't that simple, otherwise you wouldn't have raised the issue, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure. Perhaps it's just me, but I would expect that whatever BSVs are listed in the Configuration Tool are the ones that are actually running (if they have been published of course). If that is not the case, it means that BSVs may be running without any means of seeing what they are or what the status is. That could be a problem.
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

nhofkes wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:30 pm What happens if the Business Space that must be stopped is simply deleted in the Configuration Tool? Doesn't that mean that the BSV is no longer running? (perhaps after restarting the Aware server).

I guess it isn't that simple, otherwise you wouldn't have raised the issue, but I thought I'd ask just to be sure. Perhaps it's just me, but I would expect that whatever BSVs are listed in the Configuration Tool are the ones that are actually running (if they have been published of course). If that is not the case, it means that BSVs may be running without any means of seeing what they are or what the status is. That could be a problem.
The options are
  1. Unpublished
  2. Published
  3. Deleted
The linked post was looking for an in between published and deleted
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

Sure, I agree that the option to 'unpublish' (stop) the BSV is missed.

For as long as that option is not available, I guess the work-around is to export the BSV, then delete it to make sure it is no longer running, and then reimport the BSV (but not re-publish). I think that deleting the BSV also means that all of the data will be permanently deleted, so you would then need to make a back-up of the data first and then restore it after re-importing the BSV. Quite a bit of work.
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)