DISPLAY ACTION RESULTS COLUMNS

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
UnionSystems

DISPLAY ACTION RESULTS COLUMNS

Post by UnionSystems »

I want to dynamically build a FIND and pass the resulting context to a controlled set of columns (like a query).

When I run a process with the following

Code: Select all

DISPLAY Person WHERE Person.Surname='Smith'
I see the correct result rows but with a random set of columns and header caption of "Search Results". Is there a way to define what columns are output? is it possible to pass a FIND to a Query ?

Alternatively if I do the following

EXEC_STRING `FIND Person WHERE Person.Surname='Smith' `
DISPLAY TEST 
Where TEST is a query with

FIND Person WHERE Person=ThisPerson   
I see a single row result with a Surname of Smith.

If I extend the TEST query to be

FIND Person WHERE Person=ThisPerson  OR Person=ThatPerson  OR Person=OtherPerson 
I get 3 rows. So it feels like the QUERY is aware of the Context, but I would have expected OtherPerson to include more?

My objective is to be allow a normal user to dynamically build a "FIND" based on whatever criteria they may wish and pass the result of that FIND to a set of definable columns. My assumption is the dynamic FIND (or DISPLAY) action will be executed using the EXEC_STRING Action.
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
BobK

Re: DISPLAY ACTION RESULTS COLUMNS

Post by BobK »

I may not exactly understand your objective, so this might be off base, but try this.

Create your query called TEST as

FIND Person WHERE Person.Surname=?Surname
and define the caption and attributes to be displayed in the results

In your process just do

DISPLAY TEST
When your process runs, the user will be asked for the surname to search for and then display the results with the defined caption and attributes
Bob
tford

Re: DISPLAY ACTION RESULTS COLUMNS

Post by tford »

There might be an easier way to accomplish your goal, but I wonder if this will work:

1) Execute your dynamically built string, like: EXEC_STRING `FIND Person WHERE Person.Surname='Smith' `

2) INSERT the resulting instances of Person BO into LoggedInSystemUser.Selected_Persons

3) DISPLAY TEST (where TEST uses FIND Person WHERE (Person IN LoggedInSystemUser.Selected_Persons)
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres