Dynamic combobox Input Control in top bar

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
nhofkes

Dynamic combobox Input Control in top bar

Post by nhofkes »

Is it possible to have a combobox in the top bar as an input control, where the choices are calculated dynamically? So far I could not get it to work.

It works fine if the choices are defined at design time. I added an input control to the top bar which stores the value in an attribute of the RegularUser object (let's call that 'Parameter' for now). If I define the Parameter attribute with choices at design time (i.e specified in a list), and check the 'Display choices' at the input control, this works just fine. The Input Control changes to a combobox and I can pick from the pre-defined list. However, when I change the Parameter attribute to dynamic choices, the input control no longer behaves as a combobox. Even though the "Display Choices" option is still checked. It does not seem to make any difference whether the dynamic choices are determined on the basis of existing attribute values (the first option) or determined by query (the second option). In both cases the input control does no longer work as a combobox but turns into a regular text box again.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible? In the latter case, is there another way to achieve the same effect?

I guess that in principle it should be possible to achieve this with a custom HTML form, similar to the left bar content panel in the Library sample application (for the 'Member' VP), but that involves a lot of fiddling around with HTML and custom javascript calls which I am hoping to avoid. Especially since the standard input control functionality seems to do almost what I want except for the dynamic bit.
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)
aware_support

Re: Dynamic combobox Input Control in top bar

Post by aware_support »

It is not possible to put dynamic choices into the top bar menu. The only way to do this would be to create a special form for the RegularUser object and display the form in the banner, for example (you will need a process that displays the form for the LoggedInRegularUser) and then display the results of this process in the banner frame.
Aware IM Support Team
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

Thanks, that's what I thought but good to know that I can stop trying to get that to work. I will see if I can achieve the same (or similar) result by using a special form within the banner - I have some ideas about that which I will explore.

Niels
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

nhofkes wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:54 pm Thanks, that's what I thought but good to know that I can stop trying to get that to work. I will see if I can achieve the same (or similar) result by using a special form within the banner - I have some ideas about that which I will explore.

Niels
Another solution (as you already pointed out yourself above) would be to use a custom HTML dropdown where the options (with actions via AwareApp links) are populated via a tag. You need to know a bit about HTML/CSS etc. to do this though. I have used this in various places and it works.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)