Inline edits & number format in Queries

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Madimant

Inline edits & number format in Queries

Post by Madimant »

Can anybody shed some light on this for me please.

I have 3 attributes in a BO - 1st 'Label' (Text) / 2nd 'Rate' (Number format 0.0000) / 3rd 'Amount' (Number format c)
When I open record in a form I can add values no problem.
When I display the record in a query with 'inline edit' on all three attributes I can edit the 1st and 3rd items inline no problem.
The second attribute which is formatted as 0.0000 just displays a blank block and when I click again can enter a value but that disappears when I leave the field and goes back to its original value ie no update.

Also if I have attributes formatted as % they show up in the query 100x bigger than the real value ie 12% shows as 1200%

Any suggestions?

Tj
Tj
Using Version 8.6 Build 2917 - mySQL
BLOMASKY

Re: Inline edits & number format in Queries

Post by BLOMASKY »

Not sure about your 1st question re the rate field formatted for 0.0000 You might want to take out the format and see if the edit works properly. Just spitballing here....

However, most software assumes a percent is entered as a decimal with 100% = 1.0 and 50% = 0.50. So it is normal for a pct to be displayed as 100 times what you enter. Sort of makes sense, since 50% seems like half to me.

Bruce
Madimant

Post by Madimant »

Hi Bruce

Thanks for suggestion.

I need to have a rate with up to 4 decimal points hence the 0.0000 format. If I remove the format and only use # then the input works fine but I loose all the decimals when the record saves. ie 0.1234 ends up as 0 and with the format I cannot edit the rate. Weird.

As for the percentage. I input 0.12 on the form and it displays as 12% on the form because I set the format to display 0.00%. When I display the query the same number displays as 1200%.

It all seems to go wrong on the query. I even created a new sample BSV with only one BO and 4 attributes and the same happens.

Tj
Tj
Madimant

Post by Madimant »

I played around some more and found that if I set the format #0.0000 and not just 0.0000 then I can edit the numbers.

The percentage is still giving me headaches. I tried leaving that as a #0.00 in the form and then format in the query under the column format but that doesn't seem to work. Whatever I set as a display format just gets wiped out.
Tj
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Madimant wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:24 pm The percentage is still giving me headaches. I tried leaving that as a #0.00 in the form and then format in the query under the column format but that doesn't seem to work. Whatever I set as a display format just gets wiped out.
I have given up with trying to use percent as a number format - mainly because it is too confusing for users to enter 0.125 for 12.5% Instead I just use a regular number field with a trailing % label and then rely on /100 on any calculation that requires it.

You could use a double field to fix this

PercentDisplay and PercentActual

With a rule to convert PercentDisplay from an integer to a percentage but it won't fix your query to show 7.9%, I just put the percent sign in the header, though you could create a calculated field that just shows '%' next to the attribute value.
Madimant

Post by Madimant »

I think I'll do that as I have spend hours on trying to display % in queries.

All my % numbers are calculated so no issue with input by users.
I have added a calculated field in my query with a /100 to display correctly in queries

Thanks for suggestions Pointwell.
Tj