Had another user import a Excel file instead of CSV, trashed the grid

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Had another user import a Excel file instead of CSV, trashed the grid

Post by Jaymer »

So, I need to allow the use of Import Templates.
They are useful and are available for a reason.

(I think its been posted on the forum that there is no way to programmatically call the import and pass params (validate, add rec if not found, don't delete import file). Or else I could have a program "sniff" the import first, make sure it has readable columns names & data, AND THEN start the import. I know I can do an EXPORT USING to specify a template... but have not tried personally to import with a template. )

But if your user is supposed to import a CSV, and picks the XLS version of the desired file, for some reason it appears Aware is importing "crud" into MSSQL.
THEN, when you try to browse the file just imported, it "just spins" on the grid.

Yes, it would be nice if there was an additional setting on "Import" to select only certain file types, but I don't understand how even 1 record is getting past the column matching and makes its way into the db.
I'm going to have to add a hook to a Stored Procedure to truncate the table when this happens, because the user cannot open the table to browse it and delete rows with multi-select.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Re: Had another user import a Excel file instead of CSV, trashed the grid

Post by tford »

I have never understood why the dialog box for Import shows any other type of file than CSV.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Tom, true. SUPER easy fix

@support Can we get a change to this in the next update? Pass “CSV” to the open file dialogue
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Post by tford »

@Support - and also filter for BSV files when you choose to Publish Business Space Version from a menu, then click "Select file" button.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres