Complex BOG Query

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

Complex BOG Query

Post by PointsWell »

I need a work around.

Combo Box attributes (peer single relationships in this case) cannot have presentation rules.

I have a Contract that can be sold internally by a person or externally by another company.

I have different BO for People Contacts and Company Contacts and have created a BOG called SalesPeople.

People Contacts have psEmployer relationships, but Company Contacts do not, so that attribute does not show up in the BOG.

The filter became too unmanageable to use a single Sold By field populated with the BOG SalesPeople. So I reverted to putting a switch on the form and a hide rule based on the switch value Internal/External sale which shows the peer relationship for internal staff or external agents.
Switch
Switch
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 16.14.48.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
This works quickly and is tidy.

But now I can't get the Required flag to show because there are no presentation rules on Combo Boxes... The BO is generating the required error on the field that receives the Person or Contact but it just doesn't show correctly in the UI because the fields are being faked.

I could set the both the input fields to be required, but then the form will never save because it can't be both externally sold and internally sold...
joben

Re: Complex BOG Query

Post by joben »

PointsWell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 am I could set the both the input fields to be required, but then the form will never save because it can't be both externally sold and internally sold...
The only thing I can think of is using READ PROTECT in update rules if you want to use two different relations instead of a group.
I have a similar situation on an app running v 8.4, but in my case it is two plain text attributes instead of two relations.
The reason it works for us to save is because the required check will not run if the field is read protected. I hope this makes sense and I hope it will work the same way for relations.

Example:

Code: Select all

If Bo.InternalSale='Yes' Then
READ PROTECT Bo.ExternalRelation FROM ALL EXCEPT System
And also the reverse rule:

If Bo.InternalSale='No' Then
READ PROTECT Bo.InternalRelation FROM ALL EXCEPT System
Then make sure this rule executes instantly when switching between Yes and No. There is an option on the yes/no attribute for saving form on change. Might also work by making the rule dynamic, or a combination. I can't recollect right now exactly how I got it to work in my somewhat different scenario on a somewhat earlier build.
Regards, Joakim

PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

joben wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:40 am
PointsWell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 am I could set the both the input fields to be required, but then the form will never save because it can't be both externally sold and internally sold...
The only thing I can think of is using READ PROTECT in update rules if you want to use two different relations instead of a group.
I have a similar situation on an app running v 8.4, but in my case it is two plain text attributes instead of two relations.
The reason it works for us to save is because the required check will not run if the field is read protected. I hope this makes sense and I hope it will work the same way for relations.

Example:

If Bo.InternalSale='Yes' Then
READ PROTECT Bo.ExternalRelation FROM ALL EXCEPT System
And also the reverse rule:

If Bo.InternalSale='No' Then
READ PROTECT Bo.InternalRelation FROM ALL EXCEPT System
Then make sure this rule executes instantly when switching between Yes and No. There is an option on the yes/no attribute for saving form on change. Might also work by making the rule dynamic, or a combination. I can't recollect right now exactly how I got it to work in my somewhat different scenario on a somewhat earlier build.
Yes this is exactly what I have done to show hide the fields. The user has no indication though that the SoldByInternal/SoldByExternal is mandatory.
joben

Post by joben »

Have you made them both required on attribute level?
Regards, Joakim

PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

joben wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 am Have you made them both required on attribute level?
They can't both be required as it is an either or on which would be populated.
joben

Post by joben »

PointsWell wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:24 am
joben wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 am Have you made them both required on attribute level?
They can't both be required as it is an either or on which would be populated.
Works in my scenario where I have plain text attributes.
The READ PROTECT prevents the required check from ruining the save form action.
Might not be applicable in your scenario though. I havn't tried this in latest build or with relation attributes.
I will see if I can reproduce this later today.
Regards, Joakim

joben

Post by joben »

I have to correct myself.
The required field check cannot be bypassed.
Turns out I had used conditional REPORT ERROR actions, which means the attribute labels will not have the required asterisk symbols (*), which might mess up the UI a bit if that is important.
Regards, Joakim