Update BO with the Last Record from a child BO

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Update BO with the Last Record from a child BO

Post by Jhstephenson »

I need to create an expiration date for a BO based on child records for that BO that have a 'Expires in Years' type attribute.

Here is what I have:
Parent BO (Event): Has a attribute called LastExpirationDate and one called "EventDate"
Child BO (Reasons): Multiple records that have atrributes called "Reason" and "ExpiresInYears"

Whenever an Event is saved I have a rule that checks to see if there are any Reason records for that Event. If there are I want to update the Event LastExpirationDate with (EventDate + ExpiresInYears - 1 Day). But I really only want to update it with the largest ExpiresInYears value.

So, if I have 5 records in the Reasons BO and they have expiration values of 1,2, 3, 4, & 5; I really only want the last one to be used to update the LastExpirationDate attribute.

Does that make sense?

Right now I have it read through each Reason record, sorted by the Expiration value and update the LastExpirationDate everytime, hoping that the last one is the one I actually want. My rule looks like the following:

Code: Select all

If Event.child_Reasons IS DEFINED Then 
FIND Event_Reasons WHERE Event_Reasons.Event=Event AND Event_Reasons.ExipresInYears>0 ORDER BY Event_Reasons.ExpiresInYear ASC
Event.LastExpirationDate=AS_DATE(AS_STRING(DAY_OF_MONTH(Event.EventDate)-1)+'-'+AS_STRING(MONTH(Event.EventDate))+'-'+AS_STRING(YEAR(Event.EventDate)+Event_Reason.ExipresInYears),'dd-MM-yyyy')
The actual calculation of the ExpirationDate works fine. It is the order of the records that seems to be an issue. It is inconsistent.

I am sure there is an easier way to do this, but not sure what it is yet.

Any ideas?
BLOMASKY

Re: Update BO with the Last Record from a child BO

Post by BLOMASKY »

I believe the problem is that while you are sorting the child records you are not reading only the largest expiration years. Add a TAKE BEST 1
then call a subprocess with both the parent and child passed to it, and put your calculation in the child process.

Does that make sense?

Bruce
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Thanks Bruce. I forgot about ‘TAKE BEST’. I will. Play with that and see what I get.
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

All I had to do was change my sort order to DESC and add TAKE BEST 1 and it is working.