The State of Grids

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

The State of Grids

Post by Jaymer »

Ran across a post from 3 years ago.
Not sure any of this was explicitly addressed.
---------
If I make a grid that shows Invoices, "All invoices" lets say, then I have to have a column for a user to filter on to select Open/Closed. User sees All Invoices when starting the grid, and must Filter with O or C.

OR, I can make "Open Invoices" and copy that grid and have redundant "Closed Invoices"

Then, I can have 2 Menu items -- Open Invoices, & Closed Invoices with no need to filter, of course now I have a duplicate query and extra maintenance is needed when the user/client needs a column change.

OR, I can have 1 Query with the more complex Query that checks a value in LIRU (LoggedInRegularUser), and then I still need 2 menu options, each has to call a Process which updates LIRU with a flag, THEN runs the Query.

OR I can do some funky Custom Header stuff and make some buttons and do AwareApp.startprocess2 stuff to call a process, set the flag(s) in LIRU, then the Query refreshes.

Its just none of this is elegant or very RAD.

If I'm running a Query from a Menu, why can't I have some literal string to pass in that gets appended to the "Textual Query" that was built?
Or why can't instead of altering the SQL Query, pass in a Filter value as a starting point for the Grid?
There's so much more tweaking that can really help grids.

Is the fact that we're behind the current Kendo Releases the issue?
I keep going back to that Demo Kendo app I posted about - that app is far superior to any Aware App that I've ever seen. Why? Because they are more closely connected to Kendo than we are. Ironically, we're a development tool that [supposedly] uses Kendo 100%, and yet Aware doesn't support all the Kendo variables/options for given components, so we're left to decipher the Voodoo JS [mostly] on our own.

Original post: https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 510#p53510
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: The State of Grids

Post by Jaymer »

And here is the Kendo application I referenced 5 years ago: https://www.jobnimbus.com/demo/
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL