Installing AwareIM on MAC OS

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rbross

Installing AwareIM on MAC OS

Post by rbross »

Hello,

I recently purchased a new M2 MAX MAC Book Pro.
I Want to run AwareIM v8.8 on it instead of using Parallels.
The machine will not install AwareIM because it cannot verify the source and thinks it is malware!

I ask Vlad about this and he said there is a workaround but cannot remember what to do.
Are there any MAC users out there that have this workaround to get AwareIM installed on a MAC?
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
chris__29

Re: Installing AwareIM on MAC OS

Post by chris__29 »

Hi

In System Settings on the Mac, Click on Privacy & Security, scroll down to 'Allow applications downloaded from' section and make sure the second option is checked being 'App Store and identified developers'
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 12.33.21 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 12.33.21 pm.png (56.89 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
The try to run AwareIM, you should be ask to verify. Can't quite remember as it was 12 months ago when I had to do it.
AwareIM 8.8
MySQL, MSSQL
MS Server
Australia
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

chris__29 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:39 am Hi

In System Settings on the Mac, Click on Privacy & Security, scroll down to 'Allow applications downloaded from' section and make sure the second option is checked being 'App Store and identified developers'

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 12.33.21 pm.png

The try to run AwareIM, you should be ask to verify. Can't quite remember as it was 12 months ago when I had to do it.
This is no longer sufficient as MacOS now requires notarisation in order to install.

To make the app run you now need to right click and run from the menu.

After you do this the first time it will run normally afterwards.

I have raised this issue as a barrier to adoption with support but it appears to be of very low priority unfortunately.

You will also find that the MacOS install is now destructive, in that it will completely overwrite due to no longer using an installer. Again, I have raised this with support, but until there are more voices than me I do not think this will get much attention.
rbross

Post by rbross »

I got it install. The setting for "App Store and Identified Developers" Was selected, but scrolling down a bit further there was another option you have to say Yes to. "Allow Once", did the installation. I had to click this again to run it for the first time as well. Then I could just double-click on it from the Application folder.
I have Docker Desktop installed, now I just need to figure out how to download and configure a Container for MSSQL and what commands I need to learn to work with Docker.
I know someone who has their MAC Book Pro setup like this and it works great for them.
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~