Remove PROTECT when condition no longer holds?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
lueu

Remove PROTECT when condition no longer holds?

Post by lueu »

Is it possible to use a rule with PROTECTthat stops protecting the attributes when the condition no longer holds? If so, how would this be written?

I would like to protect a BO/query/form from being edited while a process is running on another BO. When the process is running an attribute in this other BO is empty (undefined). When it's all done, the attribute is noe longer empty, but contains a timestamp. At this point I would like the PROTECT to go away :)
hpl123

Re: Remove PROTECT when condition no longer holds?

Post by hpl123 »

This IS how the PROTECT rule works by default. If you have rule "If Bo.Attribute=1 then PROTECT Bo FROM ALL", the PROTECT rule then only applies when the condition (Bo.Attribute=1) is met.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
lueu

Post by lueu »

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I think I'm doing something wrong, since it protects all wheter attribute is 0 or 1. But it might be because of the different BO's? I have "IF BO1.Attribute=0, then PROTECT BO2 FROM ALL", but if this attribute wasn't "avalilable" for the rule, the protect should not work, as it does. It just doesn't stop working. I might add that the timestamp set in this attribute is done by background pakages and agent jobs running on the server. It might make it more difficult for the rule to work like it normally would?
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

You can only protect a BO based on its own attributes.

Code: Select all

IF BO.Flag=1 THEN READ PROTECT BO.Secret 

IF BO.psRelatedBO.Flag=1 THEN READ PROTECT BO.Secret
lueu

Post by lueu »

Okei, thanks, that explains it then :)
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Be mindful that running PROTECT and READ PROTECT will slow queries down if you have lots of BOs because the query stops working as a set and instead each record gets checked to ensure PROTECT compliance.
lueu

Post by lueu »

Okei, thanks for the tip, good to know!
lueu

Post by lueu »

PointsWell wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 am You can only protect a BO based on its own attributes.

Followup question here: This last code snippet indicates I can use a shortcut, is that correct? Will the system be able to pick up if the shortcut attr has a value or not?
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

lueu wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:21 am
PointsWell wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 am You can only protect a BO based on its own attributes.

Followup question here: This last code snippet indicates I can use a shortcut, is that correct? Will the system be able to pick up if the shortcut attr has a value or not?
No, you need to use the full path from memory. Test on a very simple BSV.