Install new or overwrite?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
numberz

Install new or overwrite?

Post by numberz »

Hi and TIA,
In your opinion, does it make more sense to install version 9 in a new directory or to just install by overwriting?
Last edited by numberz on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
hpl123

Re: Install new or overwrite?

Post by hpl123 »

I always install in the same directory etc. but do a full backup of all old files, DBs etc. etc. before an update which means I can always restore the previous version if needed (or take files from it I sometimes forget etc. etc.). Not sure how it would look and the benefits of installing in a new directory, it could even become a mess I think as many times you use different paths to different resources etc. and if then these are changed, you also have the change it in different places in the applications and in Aware (and many times it is not easy to remember all things that needs to be changed etc.).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
customaware

Post by customaware »

I ALWAYS install a new version as follows.....

ie
for Version 8.8 C:\AwareIM880 (and change the Folder name for the shortcut when the installer asks to C:\AwareIM880 )
for Version 9.0 C:\AwareIM900 (and change the Folder name for the shortcut when the installer asks to C:\AwareIM880 )

Then for the Database.....

I use BASDB880 or BASDB900 to also keep that version specific.

Once I have migrated ALL of my apps from the previous version over to the new version and I am happy that EVERYTHING works properly
I can EXPORT the old versions of the BSVs from 880 and delete them. (Usually this will be some months. I don't delete anything until the
new version is in Production and functioning as expected.

As an aside... When I use a seperate DB for an app... I also include the Version.....

ie....
MyApp880PROD / MyApp880TEST
and now
MyApp900PROD / MyApp900TEST
Cheers,
Mark
numberz

Post by numberz »

Thank you Mark.
You wrote: for Version 9.0 C:\AwareIM900 (and change the Folder name for the shortcut when the installer asks to C:\AwareIM880)
Is this correct or was the 880 supposed to be 900 ?
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
customaware

Post by customaware »

When Installing 8.8 I used 880
When installing 9.0 I used 900
Cheers,
Mark
numberz

Post by numberz »