External Server - Exporting from MacOSX to Linux versions

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
eyeargan

External Server - Exporting from MacOSX to Linux versions

Post by eyeargan »

Hello,

I plan to Configure my app on MacOSX and Host it on a Linux server (Ubuntu 6.10).

QUESTIONS:
1) Is there any problem exporting from AwareIM on a Mac and importing apps to AwareIM on my Linux server?

2) If my server already has apache installed, will this create a conflict of any sort?

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

1) Is there any problem exporting from AwareIM on a Mac and importing apps to AwareIM on my Linux server?

There shouldn't be any problems.

2) If my server already has apache installed, will this create a conflict of any sort?

No. We have Apache installed on our machines and we are happily running Aware IM there as well. The only possible conflict is if both Apache and Aware IM are configured to use the same HTTP port. By default Aware IM uses 8080 whereas Apache usually uses standard port 80 or 8085, so there is no conflict.
Aware IM Support Team
eyeargan

Post by eyeargan »

Thanks for getting back to me on a saturday.
I plan to configure my server this weekend, so this is a big help.

I will be installing Ubuntu Server (6.10) with the automatic LAMP installation that includes php, mySQL, apache, etc.

Then I thought I would use an open source server control panel like ISP Config (ispconfig.org) so that the server would basically be like any other host. THEN will load AwareIM like a client and go from there.

I have never done this before, so good luck to me!

Thanks again.
Erik
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

Don't know if you already finished your server setup....

There's an excellent Howto available from http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.10

And take care that when running AweareIM on a machine without X11 then some things like creating pdf's won't work.