Changing Port 8080 to 80 problem.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Angarato

Changing Port 8080 to 80 problem.

Post by Angarato »

Hello!

Did anybody have any problems with changing port 8080 to 80 in server.xml file?
Since my VPS service provider (GoDaddy) blocks port 8080 and doesn't
want to unblock it I have to change it to port 80. However, after I do this
I cannot use any URLs that I am suppose to use to access AwareIM application.
Every time it gives me "Page not found HTTP 404 error" messge.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Angarato.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Again,
I think that you will find that Port 80 is already in use. Try using Port 8088, that is what I use.
Cheers,
Pete
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Pete!

I tried "telnet <VPS ip> 8088" remotely and it seems like 8088 was not available...

Thanks for the idea though! I'll try to see if I could find any other appropriate port. I'll keep you posted. It's nice to have such a cordial support from colleagues like you Pete!

Regards,
Angarato.
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Just checked 8088 on VPS Box. It didn't work... :(
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Are you on a Windows or a Linux server? If it is a Windows server, I think that the problem is that you need to open up Port 8088 in your firewall. Let me know if it is Windows and I will walk you through the process.
Pete
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Pete,

I am on Windows 2003 VPS with GoDaddy.

Angarato
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I am no expert on this so I apologize if this doesn't work for you but it might just do the trick.

Access your server via Windows Remote Desktop. Open up My Computer and right click on 'My Network Places' and select 'Properties'. Then right click on the 1394 connection and select 'Properties'. You should see two tabs; General and Advanced, click on the Advanced tab.

Hopefully, you now see a Windows Firewall Settings button, click on it. Now click on the Exceptions tab and click on 'Add Port', create an exception called something like AwareIM using Port Number 8088 of type TCP. Now click on the Advanced tab and select the 1394 Connection and select the Settings button. Now click on the Add button and enter the name of the Server (The name that GoDaddy refers to it by, in my case it is CREATIVE03), enter 8088 for both the External Port Number and the Internal port number TCP and select OK.

Now change your Server.xml file from 8080 to 8088 and with a bit of luck, you should be able to login.
Let me know how you make out.
Pete

p.s. If I am leading you down the wrong path, the good news is that Support will be up and about in around 4 hours.
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Hi Pete,

It seems like it's not my day today. I was following your advice and found
that the Firewall wasn't running on my VPS! I decided to switch it on and
after that it seemed like if my VPS started to Power cycle...

Let's see what happens next... It's still doesn't reply on my pings...

Thanks again,
Angarato.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Check that port 80 is not used by other software such as IIS.
Aware IM Support Team
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Dear AwareIM support!

Yes, you are right IIS uses port 80 for the Default Web Site. Is there any
way to assign the other port to it? Or maybe AwareIM could use any port
other than 8080 and 80?

I'd like to have and keep both IIS and AwareIM operational. Is it possible
at all?

Thank you,
Angarato.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

It should be possible to change ports used by IIS and it is certainly possible to change the Aware IM port (see Installation Guide for details). If you want to allow access to both IIS and Aware IM you need to assign different ports and check with your hosting provider that both ports are open.
Aware IM Support Team
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

I spoke to my Hosting provider and it seemed that they are not gonna open any other ports other than 80 (opened by default) for me.
How naive was to think of Virtual Private Server as of almost completely yours!
So I have to make a decision ether to sacrifice IIS or Hosting provider. :( Very nice dilemma!

Regards and thak you all for your help!
Angarato.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I wouldn't give up yet. I originally had a Windows Virtual Dedicated Server with GoDaddy using IIS and port 8088 for AwareIM. I ended up switching to a dedicated server with them because of memory issues but again, I am using IIS and Port 8088 on that box too successfully. I know that they block 8080 by default but I don't believe that they block others like 8088 and the issue that you are experiencing may not be being caused by a blocked port.

I could be wrong here but if it was me I would continue to eliminate all other potential causes of the problem that you are experiencing. Sorry that I can't be of more help than that.
Best of luck,
Pete
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Thanks Pete!

I'll keep trying and let you know...

Angarato.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I ran across this port scanner which you can run against your server ip address and tell you the status of your various ports. I would be interested to see what it says about your port 8088.

http://www.download.com/3001-2381_4-10155408.html?idl=n

Cheers,
Pete