System messages to all logged in users?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

System messages to all logged in users?

Post by tford »

We would like to be able to notify all logged in users to exit their applications so that we can reboot the server in certain situations.

Any thought on how that might be accomplished?

Thanks,
Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You can easily accomplish that if you send them e-mails - just keep track of logged in users and then send e-mails when you have to.

The only way to notify them via the browser is to have an HTML page (for example, a banner or footer) that would refresh itself automatically every now and then and while doing it check the Aware IM server for any messages. If you want to go down this road we can supply further details.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Thanks for the tip. I think I want to be able to monitor Current Users anyway, so I'll just go down that path for now. I'll keep the HTML / auto-refresh option in mind for the future.

Thanks for the quick & complete response as always :D
Tom
fjcortes

Banner Refresh

Post by fjcortes »

As I can refresh only the banner on my visual perspective?
Javier Cortes Ayus
Version 9.x (Testing)
fjcortes

ads on the banner

Post by fjcortes »

as it could show ads on the banner and make the images change every certain seconds
Javier Cortes Ayus
Version 9.x (Testing)
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Tom - just working on the same thing.

How's about ... BO containing message and a timestamp and maybe a time to live attribute.

VP process that looks to see if there is a message every 20 secs or so,

If message found display message async

I also monitor who's logged on with a 20 rsecond auto refresh - but it doesn't catch the ones who just close the browser window unfortunately - but hey oh, that's users for you!!!

The above is similar to the rotating ads in the demo CRM app
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Alternatively, simply have a system settings attribute NextServerShutdownTime and monitor that

If NextServerShutdownTime > Current_Time then display message

That way you don't have to remember to delete any messages

As always, the possibilities seem to be endless
Rocketman

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Just spotted the date of Tom's original post - guess I'm 5 years too late with the solution. Dohhh - feel such a fool!!!.

For the benefit of others I now have two extra attributes in the systemsettings file ServerShutdownTime (timestamp) and ShutdownMessage

A process that monitors these attributes every 180 seconds then DISPLAY MESSAGE ASYNCH DELAY 10 if the current timestamp is before the shutdown time.

Works great but my question is, is it possile to add these attributes to any of the common AwareIM tables so that they can be monitored from different business spaces? If hosting multiple customers/apps it would be good to be able to insert the monitor process in each BS so that the server manager can notify all users across all BS' If not, can we have a common table in some future release?
Rocketman