Sorting a Report when data is 'Determined at run time'

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

Sorting a Report when data is 'Determined at run time'

Post by tford »

I have a report that I would like to call from a number of different query operations & form operations. So I have the checked 'Data determined at run time'. My stumbling block is in sorting the data.

I am able to control the sort order of sub-reports by setting the Data Source of the embedded report, but can't figure out how to control the sort order of the 'top' level of the report (which is not a sub-report).

If I change it to a 'Custom Query', I loose the flexibility of determining the data on the report from the context of the form operation or query operation. Right?

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Tom
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Hi Tom,

Could you give an example of a situation where a query sorting order is not respected by a report?
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Support,

A Query is only involved in calling this report from an Operation on the Query. The report is 'determined at run-time'. Sometimes this report will be called via a Form Operation & therefore will only include 1 BO instance & obviously sort order does not matter then.

The sort order of the BO items on the report does not seem to be effected by the sort order of the Query that calls it via Create Document operation.

I'll send you a test BSV if you'd like.

Tom

PS -- you can ignore my mention of subqueries in the initial post. They have no bearing on the core question.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Hi Tom,

> The sort order of the BO items on the report does not seem to be effected by the sort order of the Query that calls it via Create Document operation.

Do you mean manually selecting multiple items in a query result table and then starting a Create Document operation for the selected items?
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Yes.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

I finally figured out how to get a Report's data to be BOTH 'determined at run time' and sort order defined in Custom Query section of the report specs:

1- Define the report
2- In the "Data shown on the report" section:
2a- Click on Run Query / Custom Query
2b- Select BO to look for and Sort Results desired
2c- Click "Determined at run time"

While the radio button options make it look like 2a and 2c are mutually exclusive, they are NOT. You can determine the sort order with 2c and the instances of the BO at run time by selecting 2a.

If this behavior is not by design, please don't let this "feature" disappear in future versions. :D

Thanks,
Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Support,

Please ignore my post yesterday. While those steps works with a mini test BSV I put together, they do not work BSV in question.

Yes - when manually selecting multiple items in a query result table and then starting a Create Document operation for the selected items, I would like the Document [which is flag as 'Determined at run time'] to reflect the sort order of the calling query.

Can that be accomplished?

Thanks!
Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Looks like currently this order is undefined. We will have to look at the issue to make sure that the order is respected.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Thanks for the research! I hope you are able to resolve it relatively quickly & that it's not a ton of work to do so :D

Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This problem should be fixed in build 976
Aware IM Support Team