Calculated Attribute

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
denisv

Calculated Attribute

Post by denisv »

I have an attribute which is updated using a calculation in a rule. Caluclated attributes become read only. Can I allow data entry into this field after the BO has been created for the first time.

For example, the calculation is only done on an 'IS NEW' condition. After that I want the user to be able to change the value if necessary.
tford

Post by tford »

I've wondered the same thing & assumed the answer is 'no' since there is no way to turn off the 'calculated' box on an attribute via rule.

To get around it, I've used conditional PROTECT actions.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

I wonder if this meets your need. Here's what I tried:

1- Create a BO called BO.NotReadOnly. 'Calculated' is turned off. I made it a number field.

2- Create rule: If BO1 IS NEW Then BO1.NotReadOnly=99

3- On BO form for Creation of BO objects, DON'T show BO.NotReadOnly since you want the value to always be calculated & not entered.

4- On BO form for Editing of BO objects, DO show BO.NotReadOnly since you want the value to be able to be changed.

Hope this helps,
Tom
denisv

Post by denisv »

Thanks for the help,

Actually the solution was a lot more basic than I thought. The rule based action will be applied even if the attribute is not identified as calculated, therefore running the rule in the case of 'New' puts in the calculation as defined but then in edit more you can over write.