Document Template Samples

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
czillman

Document Template Samples

Post by czillman »

I'm fumbling around trying to create an Excel document template. Are there any samples you could send? Also, what file extension and Excel version should I use when saving my templates?

Any guidance on MS Word would be good too...
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> Also, what file extension and Excel version should I use when saving my templates?
The file extension is XLS. MS Office 2000 or later should be fine.

> Any guidance on MS Word would be good too...
The basic idea is that you can put tags inside the document template like <<Order.Number>> or <<Order.Customer.Address>> which will be replaced with actual attribute values taken from objects in the context when final documents are generated from the templates. Please see section Using Aware IM - Productivity Features - Working With Documents and Reports in the Aware IM User Guide.

Note that either Word or Excel tags can display single values only. If you need a document to show multiple instances, like a list of orders for a customer, you need to define a report. It is also possible to show multiple instances in Word templates using the SUB_DOCUMENT and LIST functions.

> Are there any samples you could send?
Please have a look at document templates 'Loan overdue letter' and 'Reservation offer letter' in the configuration of the Library sample application. These are Word templates, but Excel templates would be very similar. If you cannot see the Library business space in the Configuration Tool, please click button Sample Application in the Help window on the Control Panel and restart the Configuration Tool.

Please remember that Word/Excel must be installed on the computer running Aware IM Server for the system to be able to generate documents from corresponding template types.
Aware IM Support Team
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

aware_support2 wrote:>
Please remember that Word/Excel must be installed on the computer running Aware IM Server for the system to be able to generate documents from corresponding template types.

Yikes ! does this mean that I cant generate documents from templates with AwareIM hosted ona Linux server?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You can still generate documents from templates on Linux systems. You can generate documents from templates in Text, HTML and Excel formats. Note that Excel documents are supported on Linux and you do not need to have Excel installed.

The only document format not supported under Linux yet is MS Word.
Aware IM Support Team
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

Excel is supported on Linux ?
That's indeed EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tford

Post by tford »

Is it still accurate that Word templates can not be supported with a Linux VPS hosted account?

Thanks,
Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, this is still accurate - Word documents are not supported on Linux yet.
Aware IM Support Team