Gmail detects email from awareim as a spam

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Sergej

Gmail detects email from awareim as a spam

Post by Sergej »

Gmail detects email from awareim as a spam in case you are sending email from domain.com and have a fromaddress in outgoing email as a [email protected].
The reason is
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... wer=185812

We have to use gmail email address in certain cases and now we see almost all emails are cut that are sent to gmail it is very very bad for us.

Do you think these recommendations will help in our case:
I am a sender and I don’t want my recipients to see this warning. What should I do?

1 Ensure your emails are authenticated. If you’re sending from a Google Apps account, follow instructions on setting up SPF and DKIM authentication.
2 If you're sending with your Gmail address, but using an account that is outside of Google ('custom from'), use Google's SMTP1 servers to send the mail.
3 If you're sending to a mailing list and seeing the warning, then that mailing list is not using best practices to authenticate their emails and is an easier target for scams. We recommend contacting the admin of your mailing list to set up authentication.
AwareIM 5.1a build 1454, Debian 64bit , MySQL
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

My gliding club admin allows any member to send mail to groups of other members or to the entire membership if they want to. A number of them have gmail accounts

We have never encountered the problems you have described above. We do occasionally get bounces if we include too many hyperlinks in the message.

So I think this is not an AwareIM problem and you must look for other reasons why your mail is being bounced.

Does your ISP have a reputation for sending spam? Are they black or grey listed anywhere.?

We have a dedicated server and operate our own mail servers using MailEnable which is locked down tightly to prevent relaying.
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

rocketman wrote:My gliding club admin allows any member to send mail to groups of other members or to the entire membership if they want to. A number of them have gmail accounts

We have never encountered the problems you have described above. We do occasionally get bounces if we include too many hyperlinks in the message.
This occurs only when these 3 conditions are held:
1) email sent from domain.com account
2) from address is set to [email protected]
3) email sent to some other gmail address TO [email protected]

rocketman, please, could you test it on your side?
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I'll have to email the membership to get permission to use their accounts but I'll see what I can do
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

Would be very thankful if you do so, because if it is not awareim issue so I will give a task to sysadmin to fix server settings, we have already configured the server for emails not to go to spam and it works fine exept issue below.
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

You could just register 2 gmail accounts and using one of them as fromaddress in awareim send to another gmail account.
But sending outgoing email account in awareim must not be gmail account or hosted in gmail-google apps.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Its got to do with the layout of your email. For instance spam assassin will evaluate your email based on certain criteria. It then allocates it a risk profile number and if its over lets say 5, the email will be rejected. I cant remember exactly how the algorithm goes as it was quite a while back when I worked on this. But if you look at the source code of the email you will see the risk rating

So its a case of trial and error , learn how this profiling works, re -design your email message and layout so its rating falls below the threshold and your problem will be solved. Its definitely not an AIM issue

I am sure you can find more on the subject if you google it
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

Hi!
It is definetly AwareIM issue. And the problem is that awareim has only one account for outgoing emails.
So we have 2 groups of recipients A (where form adress must be [email protected]) and B( where from adress must be [email protected]) AND we must send it from account domain.ru.

In that case email that are sent to gmail adresses will go to spam.

The same problem appeared in ZOHO .https://forums.zoho.com/topic/warning-f ... ho-creator

Is it in your plans to make at least 2 email accounts?
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Hi,
Your fundamental problem is that you are (presumably) sending email from [email protected] (your user's email address) via someotherdomain.com (your smtp server's domain defined in system settings). This is called relayed mail and many mail administrators and automated spam filters will flag this as spam. While not all relayed mail is spam, pretty much all spam is relayed mail.

I use a reliable smtp service (JangoSMTP) and sometimes my users have to white list the server. One other problem is when one user ([email protected]) sends to another user at the same domain ([email protected]) the message will be blocked because it would not seem sensible to receive relayed mail within the same domain. This can also be resolved with white-listing.

For the GMail user whose mail is ending up in the spam bucket, GMail provides a simple (Not Spam) button. I believe that it will probably spam every unique user from the system. If there's a way to white-list a domain in GMail, I don't know it.

But you can reject the idea that this is AwareIM related.

You can avoid this if each user provides their own outgoing smtp server (the gmail user would apply standard GMail outgoing server properties). In the case where your application provides an Account layer, you can do it at that level and this will be more practical.

Hope this helps.
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

Thank you, do you mean we can set different accounts for outgoing email settings?
As I know in awareim only 1 account could be set.

What we have:

1. One account for outgoing email smtp.my-site.ru with login: login1
2. Requirement to have 2 from_adresses:
1) [email protected] (for customers) and
2) [email protected] (for parners)

So when we sent to customers it is OK.
But when we send to partners it goes to SPAM and markes as phishing because the real outgoing email is [email protected] but displaying email is [email protected].

If you send email from one domain and set from_address of other domain you emails can go to spam whether it is gmail or yahoo or smt else.

So using AwareIm application we are forced to use only one email account. This is the biggest problem and minus. The awareim concept on having only one email account is wrong becausу if you need to use different from_address you break email providers rule.

Or I am missing something.

Here are googlers comments on that http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... nAV-3-5HrU
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

I missspoke a bit. You can set specific outgoing mail server settings for each intelligent business object. This probably has no value to your problem.

But fundamentally, the problem is that you are using relayed email, as do I. The best thing you can do is to use a reputable commercial smtp provider.

If every mail that goes out from your app uses the domain @my-site.ru, then there will be no trouble. But I know that is not practical.
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

I missspoke a bit. You can set specific outgoing mail server settings for each intelligent business object.
Do you mean that I can set to intelligent bussiness object "Provider" one outgoing mail server setting and for intelligant object "Customer" another outgoing mail server setting?

If it is so, I didnt know that and it will solve my problem.
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Yes. See the Intelligence tab for the business object. Add or edit a communication channel.
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

Thanks a lot!!! :D
I will check it and write it here. If it works that is great and awareim is great and I will take my words back about awareim's wrong concept.
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

AwareIM is great no matter. But I hope that works for you.