Form buttons wishlist items

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
nlarson

Form buttons wishlist items

Post by nlarson »

For forms I would love to see the following button options:

1. Turn on/off default buttons individually

2. Define icons for default buttons (close form and delete record are the same!!)

3. Define post operation behavior for default buttons. This would allow more control over the user experience.

4. A 'save and close' button; one less click.

5. A cancel button - abandons all changes; with auto-save this is critical
tford

Post by tford »

Definitely would like to see #4.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

I wanted to add some background, because each of these would help improve the End User Experience (at least in my app, but I think others as well).

1. Turn on/off default buttons individually - this would allow me to turn of the close form button which does not work in my selected layout structure (top toolbar + new tabs). I could also then turn off the default print option which IMHO is a non-functional feature; users are baffled as to why my app has 2 print buttons only one of which actually does what they expect it to.

2. Define icons for default buttons. Users gravitate towards visual and to many that close icon looks like a delete icon. Doubly so since it is the default delete icon!

3. Define post operation behavior for default buttons. This would allow more control over the user experience. In some instances a user is returned to a blank Main frame if they close a from because the previous panel has been destroyed. If I could definite an operation I could reopen that panel (among many other great things post processing would allow).

Another approach to this is to not have default buttons, i.e. all required operations to the business logic engine then treat all all operations the same. I could see some drawbacks to this in terms of learning curve, but it is definitely a more consistent approach.

4. A 'save and close' button; one less click, let clicks is always good for users. When combine with #1 Devs could have more control of the UE.

5. A cancel button - abandons any uncommitted changes; with auto-save this is critical. As the mechanics exists now, users can become trapped on a form rather easily if the record they are in has been updated by another users or process at which point they need to refresh the entire app. - Not fun.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The features to Save/Close individually, post-process after Save/Close, Save & Close button have been implemented in version 5.5
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Our users will be very thankful for this.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

very cool, thanks for the info.
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

The buttons on the top and the buttons on the bottom of the form don't quite match.

Button Properties
Save & Close Buttons:
Show 'Save' Button = Yes
When object is modified: Save & Close
Close form after save: Yes
Show 'Close' Button: Yes
Show buttons/operations on form:
Place buttons at the top of form: Yes
Place buttons at the bottom of form: Yes
Show icons: Yes
Show text: Yes

Top of Form Buttons
If Form Properties - Save when closed: Yes,
  • The top of the form buttons ignore the save when closed setting.
    'Save & Close' button and a 'Close' button are displayed.
    The 'Close' button asks the user to save any changes before closing.
    'Cancel' button is not displayed ['Cancel' button should be made optional imo]
Bottom of Form Buttons
If Form Properties - Save when closed: Yes,
  • The bottom of the form displays the 'Save & Close', 'Close' & 'Cancel' buttons.
    The 'Close' button uses the save when closed settings and saves and closes the form without needing any confirmation, this is already achieved with the 'Save & Close' button.
    The 'Cancel' button is also displayed which is a good addition
If Form Properties - Save when closed: No, the buttons on the bottom match the buttons on the top
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

While on the topic:

I like the Save & Close feature BUT you now have to choose between offering a 'Save' OR a 'Save & Close' button.

I was hoping we would get the option of a dedicated 'Save & Close' button, so we could offer:

'Save' | 'Save & Close' | 'Close' | 'Cancel' buttons on forms
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

you're right, all of those four buttons are a must. They do exist within Aware, just needs to added to the configuration.
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Better still, ability to create our own custom buttons with the ability to choose Save, Close, Cancel, Save + Close or Recalculate etc.. functions and to be able to set applicability condition similar to form operations.

Ability to specify the button size would be nice.

Example,
Button 'Print' - visible only if payment is not necessary
Button 'Continue' - Visible only if payment is needed
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

I have successfully incorporated Twitter Bootstrap into AwareIM for all my HTML5 fluid layouts, tables, buttons, navigation, alerts, progress bars etc...
  • Had to disable/amend a number of Bootstrap CSS components that conflict with the AwareIM themes but finally got there.
  • Had to make some small changes to startup.html yo make it HTML5 compatible.
Anyway I have managed to include all the four functions on my forms Twitter Bootstrap CSS Buttons & AwareIM existing javascript functions:

Currently, when you click on 'Save & Close' the save form confirmation pops up.

Support, can you please share with us the javascript function that saves & closes the form without asking for confirmation.

Cheers,
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Here is the list of some of the HTML buttons' functions.

Cheers
hpl123

Great stuff

Post by hpl123 »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

No problem, happy to share :D

If anyone has more Javascript button functions please share. :!:

AwareIM is already an amazing development tool & it keeps getting better & better.

Cheers
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

Revisiting my original request. Seems like we have a good bit of progress fully resolving # 3 & 4, and partial resolution on #2. So many thanks for that!! but two issues still exist...

1. Turn on/off [ALL] default buttons individually.
- Refresh serves no purpose in my app
- I still have 2 print buttons. One that runs an operation to print a report I created and is what users expect. The other is "out of the box" which prints the form, but is basically pointless since most of what users want is in grids which do not print with the form. It drives uses nuts.

5. A cancel button - abandons all changes; with auto-save this is critical
and still wanted. The current options are improved, but I still don't have the most optimal user experience which (IMHO) is the default button saves and close, but there is an option to dump changes. With the current dynamic I can not get that all in toolbar behavior.