Google Integration Addon Request

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
corradomatt

Google Integration Addon Request

Post by corradomatt »

Hey AwareIM Support!

There is a small group of users that would like to be able to integrate our awareim applications with specific google services. The big one for everyone in the group would be google calendar integration.

You can see our live working spec sheet of our requirements and a wishlist here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IoN ... XfZLd_iSf0

I know I got a quote for some of these features from you guys before but I'm hoping that you might be able to give us an updated estimate and maybe your thoughts on this project as an add-on for awareim. The group is hoping that we can help to finance the initial creation of the addon but that you would be able to sell this addon to other awareim users. I definitely think that this type of integration out of the box would be a HUGE selling point for your software moving forward.

AwareIM Support, please let us know....
  1. Your overall thoughts of the project.
  2. How the integration might work (would we be able to create an awareim app and then have our app listed in google apps marketplace for example)
  3. and obviously time and cost estimates
Also, anyone interested in becoming part of the sponsor group to help keep our costs down for the AwareIM team to develop this addon, please respond to this post. This is a public post because we are looking for more community involvement.

Thanks!

CorradoMatt
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

I'm happy to contribute and believe it essential that AwareIm integrates with Google calendar and Email. Look forward to an early resolution.

Cheers Rod
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Google calendar integration will be in the next release (version 5.6 scheduled within a few weeks)
Aware IM Support Team
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Probably unrelated, but if anyone wants to send event notifications that can be entered into a users calendar (including Google calendars), try putting this code into a standard email. you'll have to use the html editor and select "Source code edit - then just paste it in and have a play.

This is a test email - the event does not exist. Could you please read on/forward to your mobile devices and see if you can create an event in your calendars. by clicking on the event link. If any of you use Google Calendars, can you see if you can create an event in that as I don't have one set up.<br><br>Please send any comments to (snipped) instead of my normal email address. This email has been sent via the DLGC bulk emailer<br><br>
<p class="vevent"><span class="summary">The Barbecue will take place </span>
on <<current_date>> between 6 and 11pm
<abbr class="dtstart" title="<<CURRENT_DATE>>T18:00:00"></abbr>
<abbr class="dtend" title="<<CURRENT_DATE>>T23:00:00"></abbr>at
<abbr class="location">Camphill </abbr>
</p>

for the benefit of newcomers to Aware < = < and %gt; = > but you can't put the chevrons in direct as the html editor will screw them up
Rocketman

hpl123

Great news

Post by hpl123 »

aware_support wrote:Google calendar integration will be in the next release (version 5.6 scheduled within a few weeks)
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

I hope this integration isn't too Google-centric. Unsurprisingly, not everyone is in Love with Google.

Can we assume 5.6 will integrate to other calendars including Apple calendars?
Rocketman

Powerm

Post by Powerm »

I agree, and not everyone likes to use Google Charts to show company's internal datas...
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Support does that include email as well?

Cheers Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Aware IM will directly integrate with the Google Calendar only at this stage. For other calendars there will be a feature to export/import the calendar into .ICS files (iCal format). These files should be supported by pretty much all calendars.

By the way, through the Google Calendar integration you will be able to integrate with other calendars as well - especially, with calendars on mobile devices.

Gmail integration will be within the existing framework of outgoing/incoming e-mails in Aware IM. It doesn't work at the moment if gmail is used as the incoming/outgoing email server. This is because gmail uses the TLS protocol currently not supported in Aware IM. This is next on our agenda. Most probably it will be in some maintenance release after 5.6
Aware IM Support Team
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Thanks support. Eagerly awaiting it and hope its not too far away after the calendar.

Cheers Rod
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Just. Curious,

We currently allow members to click on a singel AwareIM calendar event which will then send them a specially. Formatted email ( see ny above post). When the link in the email is clicked on a smartphone, it enables the user to create the event in their own mobile calendar

This is something I was working on just before you posted details of the google integration, but I really don't mind if it's time wasted if it will become easier in 5.6

Will iit be possible to create a single event ics file on the fly for sending as an attachment?
Rocketman

tford

Post by tford »

Gmail integration will be within the existing framework of outgoing/incoming e-mails in Aware IM. It doesn't work at the moment if gmail is used as the incoming/outgoing email server. This is because gmail uses the TLS protocol currently not supported in Aware IM.
I would be interested in more details on the new Gmail functionality.

Exciting improvements!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

rocketman wrote:Just. Curious,
Will iit be possible to create a single event ics file on the fly for sending as an attachment?
Yes, with iCal export there will be an option to export the entire calendar or whatever is currently visible only. So to export a single event you can go to the day view of this event and use iCal export.
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Will the interface to google calendar be bi-directional. ie If I update my google calendar will the change be effected in AwareIM