Aware IM developers network (devnet)

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

Aware IM developers network (devnet)

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is a suggestion to create a developers network system (site) for Aware IM developers that would have different features that would be beneficial for us developers, Awaresoft and Aware IM.

System overview:
The system would have different useful features like:
- Knowledgebase section with how to articles, BSV examples of features etc., videos etc. This would be a module where all members can add content and use/read content.

- "Kickstart" functionality for the custom work process (project ideas, funds raising etc.). This would be a module where all members can:
*add a kickstart campaign
*contribute to a campaign
Awaresoft will also be involved with this module to set campaign parameters e.g. cost, doable verification etc. + they will be receiving campaign contributions directly.

- Vote system for features. This module is a simple feature which basically only lists wishes and has a vote functionality so all members can vote om wishes (all members can create + vote on wishes). This module does nothing else and is mainly a function for the benefit of Awaresoft to see community interest.

- Membership system. The system will be a membership system with e.g. a Aware IM license prerequisite that would entitle a developer to become a member. This to protect/control the site/content etc.

Future modules?:
The modules listed above are the "core" system modules but the system can evolve and ideas for the future are:
- Possible community functionality with profiles etc. (mini facebook) to work on creating a "real" community
- Forum integration

The name of the system will be: "Aware IM Developer´s Network" (devnet) (www.awareim-devnet.com). The system will be a Joomla system (Joomla site with various Joomla components). I will take all costs and also do the work with building / setting up the first system, my treat. My thought is that i take the initial cost and work and this means the system has a 1 year "lease" and we can with time evaluate the system and also discuss the future of the system (work, cost, "direction" etc.). The main criteria of course is if the system is used, useful, benefical for us developers, Awaresoft and Aware IM.

I have already spoken to Awaresoft about the idea and they are positive and also willing to help with this. They will also decide on various parts of the configuration of the system e.g. Kickstart module, membership options etc.

Your thoughts?
What do you think about this idea? Please post your comments, thoughts and ideas. Thanks
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

It's a great initiative but these endeavors have a very low rate of adoption. Most of what you suggest is here on this board, though with less flare. My only complaint here is that phpBB's search function is useless.

I think that if you are able to embed the AwareIM forum into your portal you might have better success since there would be a value add to an exiting resource. Clearly, a Joomla portal could provide extensive content organization that would be helpful to this community.

Bottom line, I think you have to build it on your time and dime and prove its value. Onlookers will wonder whether you intend to support the effort for the long run. Awaresoft has a business interest in operating this board, but with no business interest, will your portal survive? We don't know.

I think we are all AwareIM enthusiasts and favor the concept. If the system provides value, I would not have any problem supporting it with a minor contribution to pay for hosting fees and such, but that's just me.

I'm delighted that Awaresoft has shown interest. We could use an upgrade from this forum.
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

The idea is good but would you to for free a board for other developers without making money yourself ? ....
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
hpl123

Clarification

Post by hpl123 »

To clarify my reasons and intentions.

First of all, my reasons for doing this and for being willing to do the initial work and take the costs. I am a big Aware IM fan and I am doing this to help out and to do what I can to help "develop" this great software and everything around it and in my opinion, this has the potential of being beneficial for us developers, Awaresoft and Aware IM. This is a worthy project for me and I have no problem spending some of my resources (time, money) on this and this is something that in my opinion helps Aware IM. Also by doing this, I am also helping myself because I use Aware IM.

When it comes to my intentions, I have no strategy to earn financially on this. My thought and strategy is this. I will take the initial work and cost and fully setup the devnet system. As I wrote in my original post, this means the system has a 1 year "lease" / life and my hope is that the this is something that is of value to us developers, Awaresoft and Aware IM and then after the first year (or before), we the community together with Awaresoft can plan the future of the system (look at and plan costs, work, "direction"). If this system works as intended there is a very small yearly cost to have the system up and running and also there is not a lot of work time involved and this is something that hopefully can be divided amongst interested developers and also possible to some extent Awaresoft.

When it comes to the comments about being in this for the long run (kklosson). I am in this for the first year for starters and willing to work on this but for this system to really have a future there would have to be others involved because it is not certain I can´t do it all forever (+ this is a system for the community and it should also be worked on by the community for it to actually work and be useful).
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

Alpha Five ( which I have been a developer ) has something similar :
http://www.alphadevnet.com/

Contact me if you need help, but forget Joomla :)
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
hpl123

Additional modules

Post by hpl123 »

Thanks for the link and offer. There are modules on the alphadevnet site that could possible also be future modules on the proposed Aware IM devnet site:
- "Code" store
- Developer directory
Powerm

Post by Powerm »

You are welcome. Their site is ugly, something much better can be done ! :)
Independent Developer
www.atwing.com
hpl123

Update, devnet system

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is an update to the Aware IM devnet proposition posted last week. First of all, thanks for the comments and offers to help/possible help with this.

I have (after getting Awaresoft´s approval) decided to continue with this project and I start working on implementing the system in early August. The timeline of the implementation is currently not clear but I will post progress updates as I go along.

When it comes to community involvement etc., I will as I stated in my previous posts fully set up the devnet system (Awaresoft will also help when configuring the modules etc.) and after that, when the initial system is set up, we can discuss possible involvement for those that are interested. Also, please continually post comments, ideas etc. in this post for future consideration for the devnet system.

Thanks and have a great summer
hpl123

Update

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is a update regarding the Aware IM developer network (DevNet system).

The implementation is coming along and I have worked on design, structure/planning and content and I am currently working on configuring the different modules/features of the system. There are still some issues i´m working on regarding how to best "tie" it all together but these are all solvable issues and I hope to have the first version of the system/site up and open in a month or so.
hpl123

DevNet update

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is another update regarding the DevNet system. I have been totally swamped and haven't had the extra time to work out the last couple of things before "opening" up the site. The site and most components are basically done but there are some configuration work left. Also the Kickstart component I initially tried turned out to have a lot of bugs so now i´m working on/with another component.

My schedule gets lighter over the coming weeks and i´m aiming at having the the last things done and the site open by the end of the month.
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Hi hpl123

Did this site ever go live? I think this is an awesome Idea! How do we go about registering on DivNet? I see the site says it's under maintenance.

Kind Regards

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
hpl123

DevNet

Post by hpl123 »

RentProperty wrote:Hi hpl123

Did this site ever go live? I think this is an awesome Idea! How do we go about registering on DivNet? I see the site says it's under maintenance.

Kind Regards

Hein
Hi Hein (and all),
Sorry about the delay. The system is basically "operational" and I am currently working on a couple of last details with Awaresoft. I will present the system and open it up later this week.

PS: Thanks for the feedback Hein.
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Ah that's Awesome! Great, thnx man. Look forward to it.

Kind REgards

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
Sergej

Post by Sergej »

I would suggest a directory such as http://iadn.com/developers.a5w
so people can find aware developers.
Also would be great to be able to post ads searching developer for project, task, consultation. Some freelance component would be great in that case.
AwareIM 5.1a build 1454, Debian 64bit , MySQL
hpl123

Directory

Post by hpl123 »

Sergej wrote:I would suggest a directory such as http://iadn.com/developers.a5w
so people can find aware developers.
Also would be great to be able to post ads searching developer for project, task, consultation. Some freelance component would be great in that case.
Yes, this idea was noted a while back and is a good idea. Let´s discuss it and vote on it when the site is open.