Mobile Development

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

Mobile Development

Post by customaware »

I now have my app working as I wanted for the desktop and wish to turn attention the the mobile version.

Having never done this before, please forgive me if I ask some really dumb questions.

The first one is...

Is it possible to produce a report (pdf) and display it on a mobile device?
Cheers,
Mark
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

No, reports are not supported in the mobile version yet
Aware IM Support Team
customaware

Post by customaware »

Thanx Support.

Can you advise if there are plans to implement this functionality any time soon?
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

eagles9999 wrote:Thanx Support.

Can you advise if there are plans to implement this functionality any time soon?
Also, is further development of the mobile platform on the roadmap?
Thanks
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, it is planned (not in 5.8, though) and the mobile version is definitely on the roadmap.
Aware IM Support Team
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

If by Mobile, you mean tablets, the general consensus is you would be better off developing with normal AwareIM using a theme with bigger fonts etc.

See this post for some great ideas http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6447

I have recently redesgned my flagship FreeFlight app (well at least the flight logging module) exclusively for tablet use. I used a medium sized version of the windows theme and locked the screen so screen gestures to zoom in/out were disabled.

and yes - using this methodology, a tablet will show PDF's on screen

Mobile phones on the other hand are a different kettle of fish, but I see no reason why - with careful screen design you couldn't get the functionality you desire
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
hpl123

Mobile/tablet

Post by hpl123 »

The existing workarounds are great e.g. using standard templates for tablet BUT I still think the ideal would be continued development of the existing mobile/tablet platform so we have native functionality on both mobile/tablet ("matched" functionality desktop/tablet/mobile).
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Henrik, I entirely agree with you regarding matched functionality across all platform. I do have this long running debate with friends however regarding the status of an iPad (have no knowledge of the workings of other tablets)

Is it really a mobile device or a replacement for a laptop. I know it was originally conceived as an alternative to the ill fated netbook concept but it really pisses me off that so many developers limit the functionality on these devices for no good reason. The other day - whilst looking into how to get PayPal Gift vouchers working within AwareIM, I had to fire off a tirade of abuse at their techie guys because there is no (easily identifiable) way of redeeming a gift voucher on an iPad or Mobile device.

Using apps such as iTap or splash top, I can monitor and control my servers on an iPad - I can even carry on my AwareIM development long into the night from the comfort of my armchair whilst my wife watches some mundane crap on TV ...... but I can't redeem a bloody PayPal gift voucher?

Give it a couple of years, one or two Processor upgrades and I think the tablet will very definitely be consider the next generation laptop.

So come on AwareIM .... get ahead of the game. Full matching functionality across all platforms and a vastly improved Mobile look and feel. Lack of button icons and the like leaves out apps looking very outmoded compared to native apps created with Apple and Android SDK's

Join the debate ... what does everyone think?
Rocketman

RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

I'm for developing the mobile version. It's a long way behind the standard version and it's really a pain for me as I have to develop my own vertical mobile menu system etc. Lack of icons, uploading pictures everything is so painful. But I have customers using it daily mainly on iPhones and AwareIM works well. It's just that it is lacking so much. Also we should have an app that we can use to launch AwareIM apps to make it look more professional. So I'm hoping that in this coming release there is something for us at least at a minimum fixing the picture issue.

Having the ability to access ones app from a mobile phone or tablet is a big selling point for me. So hopefully soon the mobile version will have it's own major upgrade.

Cheers Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you have a specific list of features you would like added to the mobile version please send it to us.
Aware IM Support Team
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Thanks Guys. I'm sure everyone has their list but my top 10 would be:

1. Vertical menu system with sub folders just like setting up a menu on the standard version that displays like a query does on the phone.
2. Icon support.
3. Time picker for datetime attributes.
4. Display pdf docs and hopefully soon zoho docs.
5. Upload pictures on iPhone without PICUP utility.
6. Upload multiple pictures and resize BEFORE upload so it's a lot quicker.
7. Mobile app launcher which a user can setup and store items like domain/ip address, BS name, testing or live version, username. And we can add a logo/branding. Also store several items so they can just select the one they want and it prompts them for a password. Instead of setting up bookmarks or the like.
8. Allow SAVE/CLOSE form buttons to be placed at top of form.
9. Buttons at bottom of screen for say a PICK operation to be bigger in size like the SAVE/CLOSE buttons on forms.
10. Allow standard queries to display column headers.

Cheers Rod
hpl123

Mobile

Post by hpl123 »

Rocketrods top 10 is a good list I think. Regarding mobile menu systems, the ideal would be to have multiple options e.g. IOS iconbar, flyout menu. Other great things would be mobile calendar, charts.

This has also been discussed in other posts and if i remember correctly quite a few of good ideas, things have been discussed before so there you can gather ideas.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

A way of resizing column widths on iPad + being able to get at the tick boxes to add remove columns (which are in a sub menu) would be good for starters. and not having to disable finger gestures pinch - zoom etc because they actually work (these using native AwareIM)
Rocketman

aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thank you very much. We will consider all requests for the post-5.8 release.
Aware IM Support Team
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Having used mobile option extensively, and normal version (with changes to theme etc) extensively.... I would suggest the normal vp is the way to go for tablet.... If awareim could give us some features as per the link above (mostly a good fly out menu) then you can do what you need right now
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS