Tutorial about optimization

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

Tutorial about optimization

Post by aware_support »

A new tutorial has been added to the Advanced section on the Video Tutorials page of our web site. It explains how to optimize business rules, queries, discusses concurrent uses and scaling.
Aware IM Support Team
Powerm

Re: Tutorial about optimization

Post by Powerm »

Many thanks for your efforts!
Independent Developer
tford

Post by tford »

Excellent job!

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-A24gC5dd4
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
weblike

Post by weblike »

OMG...this is gold!!!

thx Support!!!
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Bloody marvellous!!! BIG thanks.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Best tutorial yet! I remarked on YouTube and cross-posting here; at 14:56 you show the log and discuss out of memory errors but I didn't see anything in the log output that pointed to memory. Were you just showing the log generally or was there something in there that would inform of a memory issue?
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Excellent tutorial. Glad to see Advance videos are being made.

I'd like to see a new complete video on Scaling in details please.
Q: I got confused with the very last comment, where "the user has to use a URL to use this new server".
Are you saying that we have to split users using different URLs to use Server A or B or C? Isn't there a load-balancer system to determine which server to use internally?

I think a scaling & load-balancing video could clear up this issue.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

Were you just showing the log generally or was there something in there that would inform of a memory issue?
Yes we were just showing the log generally.

Code: Select all

Q: I got confused with the very last comment, where "the user has to use a URL to use this new server". 
Are you saying that we have to split users using different URLs to use Server A or B or C? Isn't there a load-balancer system to determine which server to use internally?
Load balancing was not included in the tutorial - it's a separate issue. The tutorial assumes that old users log in using the old URL, while you offer new URL to new users. With this solution there is no load balancing, but you are still effectively scaling your system. Load balancing can be achieved outside of Aware IM by using, for example Amazon load balancers.

So far most tutorials benefited new user more than the existing ones. The optimization tutorial should be valuable for everyone.
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

aware_support wrote:The tutorial assumes that old users log in using the old URL, while you offer new URL to new users.
Thank you for response;

The problem with applications that are "subscription" based, users come and go. I may have someone who uses it for 3 months and then cancels. It becomes a tedious job to know how many users are using Server A or server B and etc at any moment to try to balance the load. And it becomes a time consuming job to admin that. When a new user comes in, we generate an email with a URL to desktop and Mobile. It's automated.

Your solution can be used more effectively, for apps that have permanent memberships, but not for subscription apps.

Thanks!