Version 5.5 problem with Scandinavian characters

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
Tauno

Version 5.5 problem with Scandinavian characters

Post by Tauno »

Scandinavian characters (ä, å, ö, Ä, Å and Ö) can't be used in query criteria. If used, no records are found. Applies also to query by form. This is a major problem, which did not exist in the previous version of AwareIM, and practically renders this version of software useless. For example, it's impossible to find a person named Äijälä.
-t
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Nothing has been changed in the software between 5.3 and 5.5 in this regard. Are you sure you haven't changed your database settings? What database are you using?
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Seems that you are right - we have reproduced it. We'll issue a patch asap.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Before the patch is released you can fix it by doing the following:

1. Shutdown Aware IM
2. Open the file AwareIM/Tomcat/conf/server.xml for editing
3. Search for 8080 and locate the following string:
<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="8443" />
4. Change it to this:
<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
URIEncoding="UTF-8"
redirectPort="8443" />
5. Save the file and restart Aware IM
Aware IM Support Team
Tauno

Post by Tauno »

Thank you, this works. :) I would also be very grateful, if you could fix in the next patch the other character problem I reported earlier ("Problem in Item rules with Scandinavian characters (ä,ö,å)").

Cheers!
-t
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The fix is in version 1590
Aware IM Support Team
Tauno

Post by Tauno »

This query criteria problem has not been fixed in build 1590. The workaround works, but treats, for example, character ä = a. I mean, it considers Aijala = Äijälä, which it isn't. I can live with this for now, but hopefully you fix this in the future.
-t
hpl123

Problem (entirely) fixed?

Post by hpl123 »

Hi Support, Tauno.
I am a Scandinavian user (will be buying the developer license in the near future. Currently learning the system), are these problems/bugs entirely fixed? or are there still some parts of Aware IM/Aware IM applications where the Scandinavian characters does not work?

Thanks. Regards Henrik
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We are not aware of any outstanding problems with this.
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Test in sample applications

Post by hpl123 »

Hi,
Ok, i ran some tests in the sample applications (CRM, Library) where i changed the name of a customer and then tried searching for the renamned customer and that did not work (i used the scandinavian characters å,ä,ö). The search returned no hits. I also tried the searchfunction, searching for existing customers and that did work so the searchfunction seemed to work. I did these tests on both above mentioned sample applications.
Could you please verify so this problem really is fully solved. I am currently planning contract development using Aware IM and i am buying the developer license in the near future (but if this is a problem/bug i can not use Aware IM because the applications i am planning are all Scandinavian). I have used up my trial period so i can't test this myself (and i wouldn't really know what/how to test this fully).
Thanks in advance, regards Henrik
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Which database have you tried it with?

If you are using MySQL then MySQL needs to be setup to use UTF-8 as the default character encoding. Furthermore, the way MySQL interprets searches depends on the Unicode collation. In Tauno's case the collation is set to interpret ö as o etc. You need to set the collation appropriate to you.
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

OK

Post by hpl123 »

Hi,
I haven't tested it myself in Aware IM. I will trust this is not a bug/problem and test it thoroughly as soon as i buy my license.

Thanks, regards Henrik
hpl123

Bug: Scandinavian characters in B.O names

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is a note for Scandinavian users. When B.O names are written with Scandinavian characters, queries etc. does not work. The query displays nothing. To fix this rename the B.O name to something else not containing Scandinavian characters.
I have not tested if other Aware IM functions like using a Scandinavian character B.O name in a rule works/doesn´t work. The bug is reported to Awaresoft.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)