Good news and Bad news - In Aware Doc Display

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
customaware

Good news and Bad news - In Aware Doc Display

Post by customaware »

The Good new is that pdfs are now displayed on an iPad and iPhone.

The Bad news is...unless I am missing something, there is no way to scroll the document that is being displayed.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Mark
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi,

Scroll ok on my iPad. Swipe up and down with finger. This in 5.7 - haven't applied the 5.8 update yet
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
customaware

Post by customaware »

The web page scrolls down.

But not the PDF document inside the window.
Cheers,
Mark
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

? don't understand, I have a 64 page pilots manual and I can see every page. PDF's on iPad open in a new tab outside of AwareIM (like most other PDF's I download from time to time.) why would you expect them to appear in a scrolling window.

If you want greater control, hold finger on screen and select "open in iBooks"
Rocketman

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Addendum.

A Desktop PC may be set to automatically open PDF downloads in Acrobat. You can't do that on an iPad.
Rocketman

Rennur

Post by Rennur »

Bad news,

A big drawback for me is not being able to print a HTML document displayed in the AwareIm pop-up (CTRL+P or right click+print). Print preview displays the popped up window and everything else on the browser behind it.

Unlike the Browser pop-up window, which lets you print only whats displayed in the browser window.

I can't print HTML document now. Can't print it to a PDF file or on paper. There are sales quotes that now cannot be printed or emailed.

PRINT FORM function does not work either. Nothing happens when executed via process.

Browser should handle the popups.
I think this needs to be a priority.

Cheers
hpl123

Priority

Post by hpl123 »

Rennur wrote:I think this needs to be a priority.
1+
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

This seems to be an inconsistency across browsers - and I agree it need sorting.

TEST. called up one of my standard on screen lists and clicked the little "Printer friendly" button. Got a modal window with title "Query.html"

Results.

Safari - Mac. Right mouse button. Option to "Print Frame" got the desired print

Firefox - Windows Right Click. There is an option "This Frame" and inside there an option to "Print Frame"

Chrome - Windows. No Option to Print Frame, no option to Save as, print worked as described by Rennur you get a print snapshot of the entire AwareIM window

IE8 - As chrome above

So you cannot use the "printer Friendly" button in the two biggest browsers (measured by users) - My treasurer is going to go BALLISTIC when he tries to run our annual membership renewal reports (any time now)

Have alerted Support by Email as this will be a show stopper for many
Rocketman

rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Addendum for iPad

No ability to scroll the modal window, no ability to print, no ability to open in a different app (which you can do with PDF reports)

CAN click the "Export as cdv" which will open it in Numbers and from there you can print - but what a ball ache
Rocketman

Gabbitas

Post by Gabbitas »

Support,

Can you please reconsider and give us the ability to turn off the AwareIM pop ups? This would allow us the option of reverting and displaying documents the old way.

Thanks
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Gabbitas wrote:Support,

Can you please reconsider and give us the ability to turn off the AwareIM pop ups? This would allow us the option of reverting and displaying documents the old way.

Thanks
1+
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
weblike

Post by weblike »

Gabbitas wrote:Support,

Thanks

+1
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Arrrrrgggghhh. This is now totally screwed. On iPad, I can no longer click on a PDF document and open it in something else. I cannot even scroll the AwareIM Modal window to see all of the document.

Nightmare!!! Has anyone tried going back from 5.8 to 5.7? Is this possible?

In terms of tablet performance, this is an epic fail and a step back into the 20th Century.... Just when I thought AwareIM was winning.

Support, I really think you must give us the option to choose, with the default being - as it was. If we can't teach users how to turn off pop up blocking for "this site" then we don't deserve to be developers.
Rocketman

kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Note that the popup window in 5.8 behaves differently when you call the document from a process than when you call it directly from a menu as an action. When called as a menu action, it presents a modal window. When called from a process, it spawns a new browser window. The modal window does not present any scroll bars (in Chrome). I could only scroll with the mouse wheel. The popup browser window, when called from a process, seems to behave normally with a normal scroll bar and action icons. For Word templates, calling from the menu does not seem a good approach. In my initial experiments, it will popup the modal window and download the file to the tray as per normal which is confusing to the use.

Looks like put your print operations into a process for best results. May improve iOS issues.
Rennur

Post by Rennur »

When called from a process, it spawns a new browser window.
DISPLAY DOCUMENT is used within a process and it is displayed in a aware modal window. How are you getting the document to display in a browser popup? DISPLAY URL?