Phone Number Mask on Query

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Phone Number Mask on Query

Post by Jhstephenson »

I have a phone # attribute in one of my BO's. On the Main form I have the presentation set to mask it to look just like an American phone number "(999) 000-0000", but I am not storing the mask as part of the attribute.

That is working just fine.

Now when I put that phone number attribute on a query I cannot get it to display it with the phone number mask.

Is there some trick to doing that?

I have tried putting a format of (999) 000-0000 in the Display Format for the Column Settings and unchecking the "Use style defined in the attributes...." setting, but that does nothing.

I have defined a presentation rule in the attribute settings, but that does nothing.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jim
Jaymer

Re: Phone Number Mask on Query

Post by Jaymer »

Jim
magic was much easier to format #s for display, so in Magic I'd always store the raw 10-digits.

In Aware, I've changed to always store it WITH the dashes/formatting. I generally use (813) 555-1212
No downside.
Plenty of upside.

J
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum? Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Yeah, I know, Jaymer.

We have had that discussion here in the office.

The only problem is that in this particular application we are actually moving data back and forth between a Magic App and this Aware App. So, I need to keep it as generic as possible.

Jim
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

well, strike 1 for me.

i've done what you're trying to do regularly on datetime fields and the format changes correctly.
But I just spent 20 mins on this text field and can't waste anymore. Too frustrating.

A Numeric column will respect a manually typed in Display Format.
but a Plain Text column will ignore the Display Format - as we both have now proven on a phone # format.
Probably because what we are used to using like "000-000-0000" is not really a display format, but like it says, an input mask.
So its for an input field only.

So, I'd create a 2nd field for display and use that.
Or, use the annoying "calulated field in a grid" which has always seemed dodgy. And you can't filter on it.

J
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum? Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
eagles9999

Post by eagles9999 »

Make sure the Attribute is min 20 characters long otherwise it won't work.
Cheers,
Mark
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Mark, it is already set to 20 characters.

Jaymer, the storage miser in me just doesn't want to create a duplicate field just to handle something like this. And to be honest something like that should never be necessary.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

This is a pain especially if a user thinks they have keyed in in the correct format but then the mask is stripped in queries.

This was raised this as a feature request here https://awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53724#p53724

Saving the mask is also not a great work around as the format then becomes part of the record and searches then require the mask to be included.

I have the same issue but with bar codes which have specific input masks depending on the barcode length.