Version 7 no longer for non-technical people ?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ask180

Version 7 no longer for non-technical people ?

Post by ask180 »

I have an issue with the version 7 UI. What on earth as happened???!!!!

For non-technical users of AwareIM, the default theme in version 7 (Kendo) is a backward step from previous versions. It is one style, with variations, that is very old-fashioned in its look. Previously, the different default themes were different !!

Having read the forums, there is no doubt that for technical users of AwareIM, version 7 allows them a lot more control of the UI. A definite win for those users.

For us non-technical users, we are stuck with one frumpy look that doesn't cut it. We lose.

So, to try and resolve this matter, I tried to use the Kendo theme builder. All I wanted to do was something simple like change the background colour for all forms in my application, or change the default font. Should be simple?
Unfortunately not. It was not obvious to me how to achieve these simple changes. Code snippets are shown, but for non-technical types, it was unintelligible.

AwareIM has features for Styling, but I can't see where to simply and non-technically definite (or modify) a style to apply across the application.

So, has AwareIM morphed into a tool for developers? Sure looks like it.

The reason for AwareIM being unique was that its marketing message was true - a non-technical person could build a great application. In terms of building an application with a modern looking UI, I don't think the marketing message holds true for version 7.

Is there an option to revert back to Version 6? For my business users, it was a far more attractive version. I'm devastated with version 7, as are my users.
BenHayat

Re: Version 7 no longer for non-technical people ?

Post by BenHayat »

I have to disagree with you... One of the most amazing thing that Aware did in V7, was to change the entire underlining UI library, and yet maintaining the same functionality to us plus more. When I converted my complex app to V7, it worked the first time but I wanted to take it to the next step and take advantage of new features, so I spent more time on conversion.

Aware offers all the Kendo themes. Try Silver, Office365, Bootstrap. These are all modern themes and look great both on Desktop & Mobile.

Eagle9999 (Mark Bailey) offers courses from the 2016 conference. He also covers how to use ThemeBuilder and import it into Aware. Very easy!!!
ask180

Post by ask180 »

Ben, thanks for your comments.

I suspect you are a technical person, and I understand that for technical users, v7 is a great leap forward. And I have no doubt that the changes to AwareIM were brilliantly executed by the AwareIM builders.

My point is that AwareIM used to be great for non-technical people also. v7 has added lots of features for technical people to exploit, but unlike previous releases, we can't exploit them. We either become technical, or look elsewhere.

BTW, Silver / Bootstrap / Blue Opal are all the same theme, with variations in colours. The v6 themes were actually different, and preferable to me as a user.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Give it time, explore the new features and you will come to appreciate them. You've been around Aware for 4 years... Why look elsewhere where you have already invested 4 years in Aware.

With your post, you will not gain anything but frustrate yourself. It's not like Aware is going back to sencha.
You don't have to go to V7. There are many people who are happy with V6. If you don't need advance features in Mobile, you can stay in V6 and it's solid version.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

As part of the 2016 conference package, you get an extensive series of videos covered by Vlad that goes through all the new features of V7. I highly suggest getting that package.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There is NOTHING in version 7.0 that makes it different from version 6.0 in terms of accessibility for non-technical people. Non-technical people can use it very much the same was as before in version 6.0.

Yes, version 7.0 has added quite a number of features that gives more power to more technical people (such as CSS, advanced scripts and so on). BUT YOU DON"T HAVE TO USE THEM. If you are happy to use the same features that version 6.0 offered, then you can still use all of them (and much more) in version 7.0.

Themes is a separate issue altogether which has nothing to do with accessibility to technical/non-technical people. If you don't like the way version 7.0 themes look customize them. But you are the only one so far who doesn't like how version 7.0 looks - everyone else seems to think it looks a lot better. Have you seen the sample applications like Sales Portal and CRM? They look very modern. Compare them to 6.0.
Aware IM Support Team
ask180

Post by ask180 »

Yes, I have looked at the sample applications.

As a final comment, let me say that I have no doubt that v7 is a great leap forward, makes lots of sense, allows lots more control for the technically competent, and will keep AwareIM at the front of the pack. I acknowledge I am a very minor minority.

I just wanted to upgrade to v7, whilst keeping the light grey theme that the users are used to and liked.
pureist

Post by pureist »

I am sure you can easily achieve what you want UI-wise.
Why don't you post a couple of screen prints which illustrate what you want, so that we can comment/advise.
ask180 wrote:Yes, I have looked at the sample applications.
As a final comment, let me say that I have no doubt that v7 is a great leap forward, makes lots of sense, allows lots more control for the technically competent, and will keep AwareIM at the front of the pack. I acknowledge I am a very minor minority.
I just wanted to upgrade to v7, whilst keeping the light grey theme that the users are used to and liked.
ask180

Post by ask180 »

Hi Pureist,

Thanks for the offer, but I suspect porting the v6 themes to v7 is not a trivial exercise (otherwise it would have been done).
Jaymer

I don't get it

Post by Jaymer »

To ASK180

You make a claim,
it was answered politely, without malice.
An experienced user asks u to post a couple of screens,
Then you assume, and you're like "I decline. [it appears] thats too much work"

oh well :?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
pureist

Post by pureist »

your reply is very unusual.
you have brainwashed yourself into believing it is difficult, without giving due time to EVALUATE whether or not it really is, based on advice which other more experienced users may tender. You are simply REACTING.
If you are that inexperienced as you say, then there is a good possibility you have missed something which other more experienced users may alert you to.
I always find, with everything in life, that it is always better to evaluate thoroughly rather than just 'react' to limited information.
Strange that you didn't just post even one screen print.
Your reply is a very troll-like post.
ask180 wrote:Hi Pureist,
Thanks for the offer, but I suspect porting the v6 themes to v7 is not a trivial exercise (otherwise it would have been done).
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Please don't label people participating on the forum as "trolls". ask180 expressed his legitimate opinion and that's absolutely fine.

Customizing themes is not difficult at all and was covered at the Conference in Bali.
Aware IM Support Team
pureist

Post by pureist »

I didn't label him. I just said his post was troll-like. It is different.
And, in MY opinion, a 'legitimate' opinion as you say, is only one which has been considered.
And it seems, his opinion has not been properly considered, but is is based on jumping to conclusions.
aware_support wrote:Please don't label people participating on the forum as "trolls". ask180 expressed his legitimate opinion and that's absolutely fine.
Customizing themes is not difficult at all and was covered at the Conference in Bali.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Just cause I have been TOO quiet for a while... (got new car, and its keeping me busy).... Figure I would throw in my 0.02 cents worth.

He IS right. The themes in Sencha, while not that many were VERY different from each other. The themes in Kendo have LOTS of diff. colors, but come in 2 sizes, Big and BIGGER!.

IMHO, they are more advanced, better looking than the Sencha ones (but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder). It was very complicated to change a Sencha theme. (Trust me, I know this having worked with Sencha for over 2 years).

In many cases, making a change in the Kendo theme is a simple CSS line (or 3). The good news is you do NOT have to be a "techie" to do this. Pretty much all you have to do is open a text editor in the super secret location CUSTOM/CSS and create a file with the extension .css and paste in the one or two lines that your fellow (wait, are there female Aware users???, If so, do we call them Awareiams??) Aware User has posted here and you are all set.

Bottom Line. Yes, it would be nice to have some themes that were NOT just a copy of an existing Kendo theme in a diff. color or size. but if you can program in Aware then you can certainly modify the themes.

Bruce
ask180

Post by ask180 »

Yes, there are female AwareIM users.

There was no need to post some screen shots. The point was that v6 had a range of theme styles, I had used one, and it is no longer available in v7. It would have been nice if the themes had been ported through, but I have acknowledged that I will have to learn CSS and do this.

And thank you BLOMASKY for actually reading and understanding my point.

I'll keep my opinions to myself in future.