V9 - issues reported by users after upgrade

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
MESSI

V9 - issues reported by users after upgrade

Post by MESSI »

1. In previous version -downloading a PDF file-> resulting in "NameoftheFile.pdf"
In V9 - the result is "NameoftheFile-17062024220511.pdf (the download adds timestamp to the name of the file)

2. Displaying a PDF in popup (the result is a small popup - users have to drag to the right to see the document) - seems a CSS related issue with k-window:

Code: Select all

.k-window {
    border-color: #000000;
    color: #212529;
    background-color: #ffffff;
}
adding this 2 lines to custom CSS folder does not help:

min-width: 90% !important;
    left: 100px !important;
AwareIM , 8.8, 9.0 - MariaDB, Windows Server 2012,2019, 2022 Standard
Jaymer

Re: V9 - issues reported by users after upgrade

Post by Jaymer »

MESSI wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:48 pm 1. In previous version -downloading a PDF file-> resulting in "NameoftheFile.pdf"
In V9 - the result is "NameoftheFile-17062024220511.pdf (the download adds timestamp to the name of the file)
this was needed.
over a year ago (def. 8.6 days) , i discovered an issue where some browsers would use a cached version of the PDF (since the name was the same).
You print an invoice, d/l it, and all is fine.
Then immediately do another one, d/l it, and its the PRIOR invoice...
because the name was the same and for some reason it didn't fetch the new version.

Making it unique with the timestamp was the solution by Vlad.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
MESSI

Post by MESSI »

Thank you for replying.
I understand your point, but this is scary because this kind of changes it's impacting all the community. We developers should have the freedom to choose the name format of the documents. I do not say that this feature should not be present, but make it optional. The old feature was very good.

@Vlad please consider to make this optional, se we can use the old feature again.
I have 8.8 installation with more than 1k users, with specific requests of document names. With this feature I cannot upgrade to v9.
Just upgraded another server to v9 and users are calling to switch this back.

Please understand that this is not ok for all of us.

Thank you.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

MESSI wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:04 am Thank you for replying.
I understand your point, but this is scary because this kind of changes it's impacting all the community. We developers should have the freedom to choose the name format of the documents. I do not say that this feature should not be present, but make it optional. The old feature was very good.

@Vlad please consider to make this optional, se we can use the old feature again.
I have 8.8 installation with more than 1k users, with specific requests of document names. With this feature I cannot upgrade to v9.
Just upgraded another server to v9 and users are calling to switch this back.

Please understand that this is not ok for all of us.

Thank you.
1000+, this should of course be optional and if we need a unique name with datestamp or whatever we can set it ourselves via rules etc..
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I can provide documentation to support this,
But when I was discussing this with Vlad, I suggested that rather than the timestamp, a facility to allow us to name the report/PDF would be better.
If I am printing a customer invoice, then what can be more unique than The invoice number?
Example, if before it just created a document called customer invoice.PDF.
Then when you save it to your HD, that’s what it’s called.
And if the user wants to save it, they have to go manually rename it because there’s gonna be another one behind it called customer invoice (1).
And then customer invoice (2), this numbering being handled automatically by the Google download or operating system.
So if we know we’re printing an invoice for Acme tools, then why not just create the file called customer invoice – Acme tools.
Even better, customer invoice – acne tools – #12345.
This would avoid the cache issue because the next invoice would be customer invoice – Baker supply – number 12346.
Both of these would be unique names and would not fall Pray to the cache bug that popped up

And it would have the extra benefit of not making the end user have to manually rename it at all from its generic output name.

In my opinion, this would be an easy fix.
I’m glad it’s come to some visibility because usually there are issues here that at least when I post them, no one chimes in or seems to care, and I’ve always said that if no one‘s complaining about anything then why should Vlad put any effort into changing the behavior.

Going back to “the old way “is not really the solution as there’s definitely a bug and several circumstances when the name is the same over and over, we could literally see , as I said in my original post, the second invoice was not being downloaded because of cache, and you would not get the correct invoice shown on the screen if it was in a certain amount of time because of the cache expiration duration.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
MESSI

Post by MESSI »

Hi Jaymer,

The big picture of this is that we have to decide the name format of users documents, as they demands it.(in some of my apps naming conventions format is a must).
I have 2 apps running since 2016 with no issues (
-- one app is on 8.8 and having no issues with document names - more than 1k users are creating invoices daily and had no issues with the naming conventions that I created back years ago.
-- 2nd app moved to v9 recently and users are calling daily to switch back to old naming format.

I hope this can be transformed in an optional feature: maybe even me I will use it :) (now I use it even I don't want to).

Thank you,
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Messi
prior to v9, you say you had a naming convention.
but thats limited to the way you named your document (the report), correct.
whatever you called it, thats what the name of the export was going to be ?

EDIT:
thinking about what you wrote.
Most of my stuff is DISPLAY DOCUMENT and that adds the TS because if you download it, it would be the same filename without the TS.
What exactly are you doing?
You said this was fine in 8.8, but I know this change was already there before v9.
Maybe he expanded this TS addition to other areas of the system in v9 ?

Certainly this statement wouldn't change the filename:
EXPORT DOCUMENT RO_Estimate TO FILE SystemSettings.DocumentPath+'RO'+RO.RONo+'\Est_'+TicketE.TicketNum+'_1.PDF'

Are you talking about DOWNLOAD DOCUMENT ?

Jaymer
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

I will go with MESSI, this will be a quite huge problem for us also, in many places we are using custom naming convention which help to users to manage and many time to find the root element. AwareIM should not attach with filename, it should be completely upon user or requirement.

Another thing I like to suggest if cache is only the reason, then it can be achieve by putting question-mark and value.. as shown below

filename.ext?29329348923

this will always deliver the latest content to browser.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
MESSI

Post by MESSI »

@Jaymer:
Most of my processes are DISPLAY DOCUMENT

v9 - the result is "MyCustomFleName_TIMESTAMP.PDF"

v8.8 - the result is "MyCustomFileName.PDF"
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

K, but where/how do you specify the filename?

Can you show an image of the process line?

Jaymer
MESSI

Post by MESSI »

This is one of my processes:

EXPORT DOCUMENT InvoiceC.InvoiceDocument.UDD_Name TO FILE '<<InvoiceC.PDFInvoice_Path>>/<<InvoiceC.Series>>.html' 
EXECUTE PROGRAM '<<SystemSettings.HTMLToPDFPath>>\wkhtmltopdf.exe --dpi 300 -T 15mm -B 5mm -R 10mm <<InvoiceC.PDFInvoice_Path>>/<<InvoiceC.Series>>.html <<InvoiceC.PDFInvoice_Path>>/<<InvoiceC.Series>>.pdf' 
IMPORT DOCUMENT InvoiceC.PDFInvoice FROM '<<InvoiceC.PDFInvoiceImportPath>>' 
DISPLAY DOCUMENT InvoiceC.PDFInvoice
Jaymer

Display document

Post by Jaymer »

Messi
That’s interesting.
I don’t know that I’ve ever done a display document on an actual document that is stored in a BO.
I’m pretty much doing a display document plus the Report writer name,
Which runs the report writer to the screen.

I have done your steps before to create a Specifically named invoice.PDF that I import back into an outgoing email As an attachment.
I can view the PDF in the future as an attachment to the email, but usually right after that I just do a send email.
So I’ve never done a display document as you are doing it. Interesting.

In any event, I see now where it’s adding the timestamp exactly the same way as it adds my timestamps.
I just think you should’ve seen a change in this behavior before version 9.
Like I said, maybe that was a change specifically new to v9, that if it was a report writer report he was adding the timestamp which solved my problem from over a year ago, and now he took that a step further now adding the TS to a saved document in the database.

Jaymer
MESSI

Re: Display document

Post by MESSI »

Jaymer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm Messi
That’s interesting.
I don’t know that I’ve ever done a display document on an actual document that is stored in a BO.
I’m pretty much doing a display document plus the Report writer name,
Which runs the report writer to the screen.
I use USERDefDOC as templates for my documents (in very few places the ReportDesigner from AW). Try to never keep documents in DB (99% in FileSystem)
Jaymer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm I have done your steps before to create a Specifically named invoice.PDF that I import back into an outgoing email As an attachment.
I can view the PDF in the future as an attachment to the email, but usually right after that I just do a send email.
So I’ve never done a display document as you are doing it. Interesting.
I use both - attaching the PDF file to an email, but also I offer the possibility for the user to display the documents
Jaymer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:35 pm In any event, I see now where it’s adding the timestamp exactly the same way as it adds my timestamps.
I just think you should’ve seen a change in this behavior before version 9.
Like I said, maybe that was a change specifically new to v9, that if it was a report writer report he was adding the timestamp which solved my problem from over a year ago, and now he took that a step further now adding the TS to a saved document in the database.
For ReportDesigner it's ok to add a timestamp. I do not use it a lot but I remember that if the report name is "Report01" it will display "Report01.PDF"
For other documents it is mandatory to have the ability to chose the naming that we want.
MESSI

Post by MESSI »

If I could activate reverse-tax calls for this one I would make some bucks, but unfortunately I'm making only gray hair.

Users are calling daily to revert. Any solution on this please? :(
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

MESSI wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:14 pm If I could activate reverse-tax calls for this one I would make some bucks, but unfortunately I'm making only gray hair.

Users are calling daily to revert. Any solution on this please? :(
Worst case scenario, you can probably pay Vlad a support ticket to fix this (and ideally build a solution with user defined options instead).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)