Database VS File System - images

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

Re: Database VS File System - images

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote: So when a new object is created the image is stored in the DB and the File System. Then when v8.1 arrives just set the attribute to file system and remove the DB image column from the DB.
Brilliant idea. to have both system running side by side.
After 8 is out, I'll discuss this more with Vlad.
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Thank you Tony for all your input and feedback!
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Would be great if it was flexible enough out of the box to easily allow integration with something like Amazon S3 & Cloud Front. :-) Then you would be able to store images either on the server in a file system or in S3 and either way Aware would then know to download and display the images client side based on the image URL instead of getting them from the DB. This takes HUGE load of Tomcat. The image widgets would have to change a bit to accommodate this I assume. As currently you have to do a manual HTML cell implementation if you want to display a URL image.

Looking forward to some really awesome and long awaited new features and improvements in 8.1.
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

guys, i'm in a bind and i hope one of you will take time to help.

i have a small 60k image that has been stored in a document.
that document is STORED IN FILE SYSTEM.
True, I cannot see the image in a query or form, and I have to click on it in a form for it to appear.
All thats OK.

But I need to print the simple image in its own report, as these 3 reports make up a dossier thats gets emailed as 3 attachments.
I already print an Invoice, and a 2nd document with photos. These Reports already work and are sent to PDF.
When I made a 3rd report for this simple image (because it doesn't exist on all Invoices), all that appears in the detail band is my filename. No image.

Is this the issue y'all refer to in this thread, that only Pictures get imaged by aware?
How am I supposed to get this image to show up on a report? (which ultimately gets saved to PDF, and attached)?

thx

PS _ What good is having the document outside the db if I can't do anything with it except manually click on it to view?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL