Import skips rec cause a Y/N is blank

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Import skips rec cause a Y/N is blank

Post by Jaymer »

In my BO, I have a Yes/No field with two choices (Y/N).
An import skips a record if its missing the Y or N.
I cannot add a "blank" row to the choice list.
I added a tick mark on "Other Values Allowed", but it still skipped my record.
I suppose I could do the import WITHOUT validation, but do I really want to skip ALL my other "important" rules for the sake of a missing Y/N coming from legacy data.
I could turn off the statics choices during the import, but what if I need to import daily?
I could import into a temp file, then run some validation/scrubbing on it, then post it to the main file. Lot of extra work for a missing Y/N, isn't it?
I know that STRICTLY SPEAKING in term of data integrity, then if its required, then its required and its my rule, so deal with it.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Import skips rec cause a Y/N is blank

Post by Jaymer »

Ignore the line that says "I checked the tick mark to allow other values" - that imported fine.
But I really wouldn't want to have that on in Production so new recs can't be created manually with garbage data.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
BLOMASKY

Re: Import skips rec cause a Y/N is blank

Post by BLOMASKY »

while this has little to do with your question, I have to ask, what is the source of the data you are importing. If, perhaps, its SQL, then I have a much better solution for you. Which being about a zillion times faster, can enforce all business rules and referential integrity. I use SQL Scripts or stored procedures to import the data, with "case" statements to validate individual columns.

bruce